1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What makes an $80 Polo shirt worth it?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Razeus, Mar 6, 2007.

1. Razeus

Razeus Senior member

What makes this shirt worth it for $80? Maybe I'm not a polo shirt style guy, but what would one pay this much over say a $70 Lacoste, $50 Tommy Hil, $25 Club Room polo? Please tell me it's more than his name (I like RL by the way, love his 100% wool slacks I get from Macy's/SteinMart when on sale as well as his button downs).

2. Soph

Soph Senior member

Nothing really.

If you go up to zanone and malo at discount at about 120 you notice a vast difference in the quality of the cotton etc. etc.

3. Badrabbit

Badrabbit Active Member

Nothing really.

If you go up to zanone and malo at discount at about 120 you notice a vast difference in the quality of the cotton etc. etc.

I wouldn't say nothing. RL Polo shirts are well made and last forever. I have Polo shirts that I wore in high school that still look good (I am 32).

RL uses good dyes that tend to hold their color and the collars on Polo shirts don't get misshapen like you will somtimes get from Lacoste, etc...

Whether they are worth $80 is a judgement call but I say that in my opinion any shirt which can last 14 years is worth it.

4. Soph

Soph Senior member

I wouldn't say nothing. RL Polo shirts are well made and last forever. I have Polo shirts that I wore in high school that still look good (I am 32).

RL uses good dyes that tend to hold their color and the collars on Polo shirts don't get misshapen like you will somtimes get from Lacoste, etc...

Whether they are worth $80 is a judgement call but I say that in my opinion any shirt which can last 14 years is worth it.

Try a zanone or malo, I would be suprised if you went back to RL again. There is a ruggedness to RL polo which definitely portrays an American style/look. However, quality of materials between say a malo/zanone is like Pontiac vs. Porsche. The slim polos have a decent cut.

5. wEstSidE

wEstSidE Senior member

rl's buttons suck, therefore i don't buy them anymore. however, the rlpl polo shirts and the pima prl ones are decent quality. i don't know how i justified the price when i bought them, though.

6. josepidal

josepidal Senior member

The gigantic pony.

7. etl

etl Senior member

i used to justify my purchase of Lacoste because of the cut or dye. I'm not sure that either aren't readily available at a lower price point and suspect the same of Polo.

8. tbabes

tbabes Senior member

The silly little Pony on the front, really. That Pony does nothing but scream out "look at me, I am wearing a middle-of-the road, overpriced, made in some 3rd world country garmet, and I think I'm pretty stylish."

YMMV

9. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Your willingness to pay $80 is what makes it 'worth it'.

10. cheapmutha

cheapmutha Senior member

The gigantic pony.
    f--k a pony... avorite(so far) is the DUCK BOOT on my l.l. bean polo.

oh... the shirt itself is much nicer than polo too.

11. Badrabbit

Badrabbit Active Member

Your willingness to pay $80 is what makes it 'worth it'.

Sounds like you are becoming an Austrian there Alan.

12. Eason

Eason Senior member

Exactly, and same for absolutely any other high brand clothing. There's no difference between Dior and A&F when they're pushing 500$ jeans, because I promise you they couldn't cost more than $25 to make.

13. Badrabbit

Badrabbit Active Member

It should also be pointed out that RL Polo is available nearly everywhere at the $35 price point at discount stores(see your local Ross, TJ Maxx, Steinmart, etc...) or marked down even below that at the end of season in dept. stores. There is no reason anyone should ever pay retail.

14. Razeus

Razeus Senior member

It should also be pointed out that RL Polo is available nearly everywhere at the $35 price point at discount stores(see your local Ross, TJ Maxx, Steinmart, etc...) or marked down even below that at the end of season in dept. stores. There is no reason anyone should ever pay retail.

That's where I've been getting my polo's for $30. Actually I only have 2 Tommy Hil's to be exact. Just for casual Fridays and weekends.

15. P3R3

P3R3 Senior member

I can definately tell a difference. I love my Loro Piana polo!

16. Waffle

Waffle Well-Known Member

RL polos for $35? I wish they were that cheap over here.. RL pricing is about the same as Dior, Prada, Etro, Marc Jacobs etc over here.. for example a cashmere cardigan for $2000.. note that this is PRL, not RLPL..

17. Man In Space

Man In Space Senior member

A $50 bill pinned to it...

18. Alan B.

Alan B. Well-Known Member

Ralph Lifshitz Polos were much better quality years ago when they were made in the US. The fabric was superior and they were beautiful shirts. I can tell the difference now that their stuff is made offshore.

I switched to Jeff Rose polos. I get them on eBay for about $20 used. Great fabric and made in Italy.

19. AlanC

AlanC Senior member

Sounds like you are becoming an Austrian there Alan.

I still remember a thing or two from that von Mises Institute summer class at Auburn all those years ago.

20. Soph

Soph Senior member

I have no idea, but I just saved a ton on auto Insurance with Geico.