• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makes a tie a Grenadine?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Taken from a recent thread:
Originally Posted by Icarium
I didn't want to start a new thread, and this is directly related... is Sam Hober pretty much the best (only?) place to buy narrow grenadine ties? By narrow, I am referring to < 3.0" width... 2.5-2.75".

I've searched all over, but most salespeople don't even know what a grenadine tie is in the first place.

Exactly. On a recent trip to Dublin I tried to find some grenadine ties, but no one seemed to be familiar with the term. This was in Brown Thomas, Hackett, Thomas Pink, TM Lewin, etc. Is it an american expression?

And what makes a tie a grenadine? I understand that it's a looser than normal silk weave, but is there an easily identifiable point where it shifts from a loosely weaved normal tie to a grenadine?

Like the poster above I'm also interested in a narrower tie.

Who makes a 2 3/4" (7cm) grenadine?

If I were to order a bespoke one from Sam Hober, what construction would you recommend? 3 fold, or 6,7 or 8?

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The specific weave pattern of the silk. If you look closely, you'll see that recognizable pattern.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by gdl203
The specific weave pattern of the silk. If you look closely, you'll see that recognizable pattern.

It's actually the cherry flavor associated with the tie more than the specific weave. It's a common mistake. I take no offense.

rob

Reaction score
Go to Sam Hober ties. They will make the tie for you any way you would like.

Rob

antirabbit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zbromer
It's actually the cherry flavor associated with the tie more than the specific weave. It's a common mistake. I take no offense.

Grenadine is not cherry flavored....
Pomagranite.

zalb916

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by antirabbit
Grenadine is not cherry flavored.... Pomagranite.
All of my Roy Rogerses, including the one I had last night, were not really cherry Cokes? They were pomegranate Cokes? Man, my world has been blown. Although, I'd argue it still has a cherry flavor; even though, the syrup is supposed to be made from pomegranate.

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
Taken from a recent thread:

Exactly. On a recent trip to Dublin I tried to find some grenadine ties, but no one seemed to be familiar with the term. This was in Brown Thomas, Hackett, Thomas Pink, TM Lewin, etc. Is it an american expression?

And what makes a tie a grenadine? I understand that it's a looser than normal silk weave, but is there an easily identifiable point where it shifts from a loosely weaved normal tie to a grenadine?

Like the poster above I'm also interested in a narrower tie.

Who makes a 2 3/4" (7cm) grenadine?

If I were to order a bespoke one from Sam Hober, what construction would you recommend? 3 fold, or 6,7 or 8?

The Grenadine weave is called Gauze in Italian and there are stories of its origin in the Middle East
a long time ago.

There are 2 classic grenadine weaves that are currently woven one is the one that we use and the other is a looser weave.

The type of weave is what makes it a grenadine not how tightly woven it is. Feel free to email me for a swatch if you want to look closely at the weave, which is the best way to understand a grenadine.

You do not want a 7 or 8-fold construction. As for the merits of a 3 or 6-fold construction I will let others make their suggestions as it is mostly a persomal choice. The 6-fold will have a better drape and have an elegant construction which will appeal to gentlemen who like mechanical watches. However, the 3-fold is a clasic tie which is very beautiful. I have several 3-fold grenadines which I often wear.

I would not buy a nice grenadine and have it altered. Those who do alterations tend to do an ok job at a reasonable prce if you are not concerned about small details. If you already have ties which need to be narrowed then that would be when you would want to alter a tie.

The Harvie and Hudson links show what looks to be a beautiful grenadine silk - I cannot tell from the photos much about the construction. The Turnbull and Asser ties will most likely have a nice wool interlining but again I cannot tell from the photos much about the construction so I would probably go with the HH grenadine all things being equal. the silk looks like the same quality.

If you have time we can make a grenadine exactly as you wish but if you are in a hurry the HH tie looks like a good value - but again I cannot tell much about the construction fro the photo.

mrmike98

Reaction score
What I used to call &quot;double breasted neckwear&quot;. As dressy a tie as one could find.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply David.

I'm not counting on finding a 2 3/4" grenadine in a shop anytime soon, so I'm planning on getting one or two from you at some point - I'm in no great hurry.

Without knowing too much about it, the craftmanship of a 6 fold appeals to me. I'm not looking for a tie with a lot of body, so would this be unlined or just with very little interlining?

Sam Hober

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kaplan
Thanks for your reply David.

I'm not counting on finding a 2 3/4" grenadine in a shop anytime soon, so I'm planning on getting one or two from you at some point - I'm in no great hurry.

Without knowing too much about it, the craftmanship of a 6 fold appeals to me. I'm not looking for a tie with a lot of body, so would this be unlined or just with very little interlining?

Kaplan,

We do not like to make unlined grenadines so the tie would be lined. We can use a light interlining.

Grenadines do have a light feeling and a lot of body - we only suggest four-in-hand knots not Windsors.

If you are not in a hurry then we are perfect for you - smiling.....

When you are ready email me at [email protected] and we can discuss length and construction in more detail.

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Will do.

And only four-in-hand knots for me
smile.gif

Francisco D'Anconia

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sam Hober
The Grenadine weave is called Gauze in Italian and there are stories of its origin in the Middle East
a long time ago.

There are 2 classic grenadine weaves that are currently woven one is the one that we use and the other is a looser weave.

The type of weave is what makes it a grenadine not how tightly woven it is. Feel free to email me for a swatch if you want to look closely at the weave, which is the best way to understand a grenadine.

You do not want a 7 or 8-fold construction. As for the merits of a 3 or 6-fold construction I will let others make their suggestions as it is mostly a persomal choice. The 6-fold will have a better drape and have an elegant construction which will appeal to gentlemen who like mechanical watches. However, the 3-fold is a clasic tie which is very beautiful. I have several 3-fold grenadines which I often wear.

I would not buy a nice grenadine and have it altered. Those who do alterations tend to do an ok job at a reasonable prce if you are not concerned about small details. If you already have ties which need to be narrowed then that would be when you would want to alter a tie.

The Harvie and Hudson links show what looks to be a beautiful grenadine silk - I cannot tell from the photos much about the construction. The Turnbull and Asser ties will most likely have a nice wool interlining but again I cannot tell from the photos much about the construction so I would probably go with the HH grenadine all things being equal. the silk looks like the same quality.

If you have time we can make a grenadine exactly as you wish but if you are in a hurry the HH tie looks like a good value - but again I cannot tell much about the construction fro the photo.

Kaplan,

I have three of David grenadine ties and they are the best ties that go around my neck. He made them exactly to the specifications I sent him. That is the good news. The bad news is that good things take time. And David's take extra time. Six months. But good things come to thise who wait.

I recently bought a couple of grenadines from J.Press during a sale someone announced over at AAAC. They got here in less than a week, but they are not up to the Hober standard. They're a little narrower than I'd like and the way the tie feels in my hand is just not as heavy, solid, or satisfying.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads