1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

what makes a shirt 'quality'/ more expensive? pix

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, May 13, 2006.

1. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

2. MidsummerKnight

MidsummerKnight New Member

Now to do what I do best --- start shit on a new forum.

I know it's materialistic and snobbish, but i really like getting the small booklet with my Borrelli shirts, which is signed by the person that made it, or examining the handmade buttonholes of a suit jacket-- I'd like to think that in some small way, i'm helping to keep old world traditions alive in a society obsessed with "right now, fast food, ipods, cellphone calls and blackberry emails."

Good for you, Foxx. But I hope you don't have any pretensions of an interest in "social justice." Mind you, I'm far more fiscally conservative than any republican you've ever met --- I certainly don't care if you'd rather spend thousands of dollars on clothing than on feeding the hungry. But keep in mind the full ramifications of what it is you're glorifying.

OK, so you see some aesthetic appeal in the process of tailoring, not just in the product of clothing. There are two ways to look at this. One is as a statement of universal fact --- that things which are made by hand with a focus on craftsmanship and "authenticity" are superior to mass produced counterparts. Or, as a matter of taste --- although you happen to get the warm fuzzies from knowing that your clothing is hand made, you don't think any less of people who don't (or can't) indulge in that.

Think about which position you ascribe to. Think about the logical consequences of really believing in whatever position you choose. If you really think that doing things the human way --- with a sense of artistry --- is what really matters, then a condemnation of the whole of modern civilization (even the very internet which you're using right now) is the logical conclusion.

My personal take is that, hey, whatever floats your boat, that's cool. To me, dressing well means coordinating colors and patterns, achieving a good fit, and perhaps deviating a little (but not too much) from social norms so as to project a bit of individuality in your image. It certainly doesn't mean wearing bespoke couture, because I can't tell if you're wearing bespoke couture, and you can't tell if I am either.

I roundly challenge anybody to prove me wrong on that last one, BTW.

So if you get some special thrill out of your Brioni, power to ya. I personally get a special thrill out of my hand-made guitar amps with hand-made czechoslovakian tubes, so believe me, I can relate. But if you think that you are somehow better because of your appreciation of inefficiency --- well, have fun living in the past. Truly, those were... uh... "glorious" days.

3. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

I personally get a special thrill out of my hand-made guitar amps with hand-made czechoslovakian tubes, so believe me, I can relate.

nice analogy. I know I get a thrill out of my hand built/hand P2P wired Tophat amplifier, one of the "made by Brian Gerhardt" models. [​IMG]

4. MidsummerKnight

nice analogy. I know I get a thrill out of my hand built/hand P2P wired Tophat amplifier, one of the "made by Brian Gerhardt" models. [​IMG]

Hell yeah. I'm a fan of Budda amps and also JJ tubes, although I tend to rely on Peaveys for the simple fact that you can hide under a pile of Peavey amps (and boss pedals) as a sort of makeshift bomb shelter. [​IMG]

5. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

Well I like ARC sourced Russian vacuum tubes in my 2 channel amp...

...and oh yeah I love my Kiton shirts. I think a nice shirt must have a quality comfy fabric which for us in the South generally means higher thread count the better and great construction. I have good quality machine made shirts like Lorenzini but the Kiton and Borrelli shirts perform better and look nicer. I did my shirts almost exclusively MTM so they fit well.

I have not yet saved up enough cash (or won the lottery) to afford Alex' shirts. I do sleep comfortably knowing that his store will be a local stop once I buy my Hamptons estate. That reminds me to call Billy Joel. [​IMG]

6. MidsummerKnight

Well, if we're talking about the difference between something made of Sea Island cotton and something made of your run-of-the-mill cotton, that's one thing. Thread counts, the ply of the fabric, the fit of the garment, etc --- those are all also relatively objective measures of quality. Although if you can't sense a difference --- if you have to be told the thread count is high --- then it's more novelty than anything else. And I think there's a lot of that going on, which is just an extension of the general concept of spending a lot of money because you're rich and you can (or because you want to feel rich, or have people think you are). I personally like to keep my money in money, not in threads, but hey, whatever floats your boat.

7. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

8. Carey

Carey Senior member

getting fitted for six new shirts and lounging around on the beach for two days, to the tune of $3,500.00

But my next vacation will be watching the Men's SEC Basketball Tournement and staying at the Four Seasons, while wearing "custom shirts" and alot of RTW, and eating one nice dinner in a three or four star restaurant. Less than half the price of Mr. K's shirts, but that way the wife gets her basketball tourney and I can continue to bitch about how I need better and better clothes.

9. mensimageconsultant

mensimageconsultant Senior member

High-quality dye can increase the cost.