1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What makes a great pair of loafers?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Threadbearer, Sep 18, 2010.

1. CMD.EXE

CMD.EXE Senior member

Great leather, on a great last, with the least amount of hardware possible.

2. HHD

HHD Senior member

3. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    Great leather, on a great last, with the least amount of hardware possible.
    Could I get you to elaborate on what makes a great last?

Some nice slip ons from Edward Green here:
    http://www.skyvalet1.com/EdwardGreen...erCasuals.aspx

Agreed, but which ones in particular float your boat, and why?

Any love for the classic Weston loafer?
    Can you provide an example or two?

4. HHD

HHD Senior member

I like the Piccadilly and the Montpellier from the assortment above, but I haven't seen the Sloane or Buxton, which look good too. This is the classic JM Weston 180 loafer: [​IMG]

5. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

Normally not into tassel loafers but this one from George Cleverly through Leather Soul is very nice.

[​IMG][/IMG]

6. CMD.EXE

CMD.EXE Senior member

Could I get you to elaborate on what makes a great last?

You know it when you see it. Not awfully helpful, I know. I personally don't like bloby lasts, nor lasts that are too pointy without the right proportions elsewhere in the shoe.

7. Guero

Guero Senior member

No offense taken, Guero. In fact, I deeply appreciate your frank assessment. Thanks, man. [​IMG]

Help me understand what you mean, though, when you say that my style would benefit from a more stylized loafer. I would think that you'd judge my black Hugo Boss loafers too stylized already, so what, in your mind, would constitute a more stylized loafer that would better suit what you've seen so far in my WAYWRN posts?

Sure. I may have been unclear. I meant more stylized relative to the more traditional Alden/Bass rounded toe classic penny loafers (rather than compared to your HBs). For example, I wear a Santoni loafer, not unlike the Merton pictured above, for my coat/tie/trouser look (i.e., not with suits). Here's a link: http://www.theshoemart.com/santoni-m...m_gilmore.html. Similarly, I have pairs of J.M. Weston loafers from the Conti line and Sutor Mantellassi loafers that I also work in to the rotation -- each of which have a more elongated or chiseled toe when compared to the rounded toe and less sleek look of the traditional loafers. Again, I think traditional loafers are great in the right context, but my comments were directed at pairing loafers with what I've seen you wear in WAYWRN, which in my view would work better with a Merton-style loafer and less so with a round toe loafer. That said, if you prefer the latter, it's hard to go wrong (except paired with suits[​IMG] ).

Good luck.

8. Threadbearer

Threadbearer Senior member

Outside the Beltway but still in the Danger Zone
    Sure. I may have been unclear. I meant more stylized relative to the more traditional Alden/Bass rounded toe classic penny loafers (rather than compared to your HBs). For example, I wear a Santoni loafer, not unlike the Merton pictured above, for my coat/tie/trouser look (i.e., not with suits). Here's a link: http://www.theshoemart.com/santoni-m...m_gilmore.html. Similarly, I have pairs of J.M. Weston loafers from the Conti line and Sutor Mantellassi loafers that I also work in to the rotation -- each of which have a more elongated or chiseled toe when compared to the rounded toe and less sleek look of the traditional loafers. Again, I think traditional loafers are great in the right context, but my comments were directed at pairing loafers with what I've seen you wear in WAYWRN, which in my view would work better with a Merton-style loafer and less so with a round toe loafer. That said, if you prefer the latter, it's hard to go wrong (except paired with suits[​IMG] ).

Good luck.

Thanks again, Guero, for providing such a thorough and thoughtful reply. I find myself drawn to the hardware of the Gucci horsebits but to the elongated toe box of the Mertons. Only one way to settle it, I guess: Get one in brown and the other in black.

9. Sartorial1

Sartorial1 Senior member

Craftsmanship
    Style
    Comfort​

10. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

A nicely defined, shaped last (not necessarily chiselled or pointy), good leather, lack of metal, probably not black. Suede makes a ton of sense for loafers.

I'm a big fan of those Anthony Cleverley tassels.

11. Butter

Butter Senior member