What makes a great pair of loafers?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Threadbearer, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Butter

Butter Senior member

2. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

The english don't know how to make penny loafers, those are way too pretentious. The beauty of the penny loafer (IMO anyway), is the practical functionality of it. When you start structuring the toe, elongating the toe and trying to make the last shape look too perfect, you lose the soul of the shoe.

3. coolshoes

coolshoes Senior member

The english don't know how to make penny loafers, those are way too pretentious. The beauty of the penny loafer (IMO anyway), is the practical functionality of it. When you start structuring the toe, elongating the toe and trying to make the last shape look too perfect, you lose the soul of the shoe.

Yesssssssssssss!!!

4. DandySF

DandySF Senior member

The staff at Gucci can switch out the hardware on the loafer, with brass and silver as options. I expected a surly and indifferent reception at Gucci, but the gal who helped me was a delight. This was at their New York store, on Madison.

5. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

I dont think the Merton and Sydney are styled as classic penny loafers, they look to be Italian versions of loafers. A much more classic American shape is CJ Boston [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Butter

Butter Senior member

That's pretty hardcore. I'm no loafer connoisseur but I'll take your word or it. I just liked the shape and simplicity as I don't like tassels nor split toe designs.

7. kohelet

kohelet Senior member

I dont think the Merton and Sydney are styled as classic penny loafers, they look to be Italian versions of loafers. A much more classic American shape is CJ Boston

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nice options. Smooth and nice hardware. Tassels are hideous. EW GROSS. Tassels only belong around a curtain.

8. bringusingoodale

bringusingoodale Senior member

This thread just reinforces my belief: seen one loafer, seen them all.

9. Butter

Butter Senior member

On a similar note, can anyone speak of the quality of Tod's moccassins?

10. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

I dont think the Merton and Sydney are styled as classic penny loafers, they look to be Italian versions of loafers. A much more classic American shape is CJ Boston

[​IMG]

Much much better. I'm glad that those exist, all the photos I've seen of the brits' idea of penny loafers have looked much more like the previous two, though I'm not so sure about the corrected grain. I know it's associated with the style thanks to bass's use of it, but is that really necessarily when you're charging what C&J does (AE's Walden is guilty of that too, IIRC).

I certainly will admit to being a big fan of the Penny loafer aesthetic. A simple, unpretentious shoe that can be worn (by the right individual anyway) with anything from jeans to a tux (As Cary Grant had a habit of doing), and over time, forms into a slipper. It's a very democratic shoe.

I'll shut up now.

11. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

12. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

I suspect that falls in the category of personal opinion. Here's another: if you pay more than $75.00 for any unlined shoe made of bonded, corrected grain leather, raw, undyed edges sewn together in the most perfunctory manner, and bottomed with a rubber sole, fiberboard heels stack, etc....you could have saved money just flushing it down the toilet, I don't care what the brand name stamped on the box says. You wouldn't have had to pay for a taxi.

13. hermes man

hermes man Senior member

it has to be made in italy.. [​IMG]

14. Guero

Guero Senior member

The problem with the responses in this thread is that they treat the penny loafer as monolithic. There are different types and different uses for penny loafers. I'm a big admirer of the C&J Sydney and Merton, above, but wear my particular versions of those loafers exclusively with odd trousers and a sportcoat. Whereas the more traditional "American" penny loafer that's been presented works better with a trad dress style that I don't identify with or in a more casual setting, including jeans or chinos. With regard to the latter, I think the American style penny loafer is great and I would wear it, too. As for threadbearer's "no love" for his loafers issue, a sentiment I agree with, his particular dress sensibility in WAYWRN would benefit from the use of the more stylized dress loafers (of which his particular loafers are a poor example -- no offense TB) than the more tradly American versions above.

15. mrbig

mrbig Senior member

1. They're usually quick and easy
    2. They look good with anything from a suit to jeans and a Belstaff
    3. Michael Jackson wore them. 'Nuff Said.

However; where can one buy Bass-esque loafers that aren't Corrected Grain?