• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makes a good shampoo?

amdi8

Reaction score
OK, so I have read this thread about quality shampoos several times. There are lots of recommendations, but what I really want to know is, what makes a good shampoo?

Clearly, the smell is important, but that's not what I'm talking about. What makes a salon shampoo different from Pantene Pro or any other pharmacy shampoo. Or, alternatively, what characteristic should I look for when buying a shampoo?

Any ideas?

swiego

Reaction score
Honestly, I think it depends on the type of hair?

Mine is very thick, grows quick and family history is that it doesn't disappear. I tend toward every "aggressive" shampoos--I want my hair to be squeaky clean. I strongly dislike shampoos that try to "moisturize" or "hydrate" my hair - all they do is leave my hair feeling oily and heavy. Others might have exactly the opposite opinion.

Another factor, I think, is the type of water you have. Depending on whether you have hard or soft water, different shampoos might behave differently.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
High end shampoos dont have detergents in them to build up lather. Lather isnt the mark of how effective a shampoo is, but people are tricked into thinking that it is.

Aside from that, the scent tends to be much better since essential oils may be used instrad of synthetics. Many high end shampoos are also formulated with PH in mind.

Has anyone tried the new Burt's Bees shampoos?

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
-Cheap
-Cleans my hair and doesn't leave anything on it
-Doesn't make my head smell fruity

Suave daily clarifying shampoo for life.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
i use a conditioning shampoo from kiehls

metkirk

Reaction score
I dont think shampoo's that important to your hair. What matters is the conditioner you use. I always switch between 2 conditioners every week so that my dry hair don't get accustomed to one type of conditioner.

DNW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I use Garnier Fructis right now, and while it's decent, I don't trust it. I want something that's made from natural materials that have cleansing qualities. What's a good natural shampoo that doesn't leave chemicals on your hair?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
High end shampoos dont have detergents in them to build up lather. Lather isnt the mark of how effective a shampoo is, but people are tricked into thinking that it is.

Aside from that, the scent tends to be much better since essential oils may be used instrad of synthetics. Many high end shampoos are also formulated with PH in mind.

Has anyone tried the new Burt's Bees shampoos?

Shampoo is suppose to clean, so can you explain how the "high end shampoos" clean without using detergents?

I also use the cheap and big-bottled Suave daily cleanser. I get it something like a 24oz bottle for $1.29 at Walmart.

nerdykarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been a Suave user for quite some time now (and before that, Pert Plus). I'm such a big fan of their shaving cream, though, that I'm about to place an order for Nancy Boy's shampoo...we'll see how that goes. edit: I just realized I did the exact opposite of answering your question. Honestly, I have no idea what makes a high quality shampoo...I'm just about to try one that is more expensive than the one I currently use to see if it makes my hair feel better.

briancl

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've never put much thought into shampoo, but my girlfriend will use nothing but good stuff in her hair. In the rare instance that she has to use something else, I can, without a doubt, notice a large difference in how rough/course her hair feels compared to her normal regimen. That said, I haven't made any changes to my shampoo, but maybe I will give it more thought when it's time for a new bottle.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just get one that doesn't use Sodium Laureth Sulfate, it will dry out your hair and irritate the scalp. A months worth of shampoo and conditioner costs me about $4.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Marketing has it that baby shampoo (e.g., Johnson's) is better or at least different.

Is it qualitatively different in any important respect? Or is it just incrementally adjusted from more mainstream formulas?

FWIW I use it occasionally, but have no strong attachments one way or the other. My own current rotation is some of the apparently discontinued formulas from Truefitt & Hill.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
Marketing has it that baby shampoo (e.g., Johnson's) is better or at least different. Is it qualitatively different in any important respect? Or is it just incrementally adjusted from more mainstream formulas? FWIW I use it occasionally, but have no strong attachments one way or the other. My own current rotation is some of the apparently discontinued formulas from Truefitt & Hill.
Can't remember off the top of my head but I was reading that baby shampoo isn't as gentle as you would be led to believe. I'd go with an all natural formula. I just use plain ole Jason's with Jojoba Oil which I get online for a couple bucks a bottle (expensive in the stores).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads