• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makes a good LinkedIn profile?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I just cannot stand all of the industry mumbo jumbo.

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
I just cannot stand all of the industry mumbo jumbo.

On a somewhat related note, are you working these days?

Duff_Man

Reaction score
LinkedIn is a bit grey for me.

In an industry where social media is seen as a PERSEC risk, what is the balance between presence and oversharing?

yeungjai

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duff_Man

In an industry where social media is seen as a PERSEC risk, what is the balance between presence and oversharing?

I would say that to make it easier on recruiters and hiring managers, don't disclose anything on your LI profile that you wouldn't disclose on your resume. Examples include:

Your photo (arguably)
Your marital status or family status
Disability status
Religion

And any other prohibited grounds for discrimination, wherever you are.

I am not saying this to say that you will be discriminated against and that you should guard against it, but from the employer's point of view, this is all unnecessary information. An employer has nothing to gain by being privy to this sort of information, but seeing it opens the doors to potential legal liabilities. For example, if a candidate is found off LI, moves through the recruitment process, and is not the one selected to be hired, they can allege that they were discriminated against based on something on their profile - it's one of the big reasons why people in the industry do not recruit off of facebook or more casual social networking sites. They don't want to be charged on discriminating against anyone on anything outside of the requirements of the position.

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KPO89
Too cheesy? Too much? Critique me please.

Originally Posted by MyTailorIsRich
Trying to be constructive here. I have worked in marketing for a long time and my suggestion would be to put paragraph 3 first and start with "I create need". Otherwise you are hoping the reader makes it through two paragraphs before getting to your value statement - which is a good one. So put your hard hitting value statement first and then back it up (work or projects that you have done, skills, etc).

I have a comment regarding the statement that "you create need". I think this is a common misconception amongst marketers. Marketers do not create need. Rather, the goal of marketing is to communicate how a product/service meets a need. For example, the need for entertainment. Marketers didn't create this need. It exists outside of marketing. Where marketing plays a role is communicating how a product meets one's entertainment needs.

I would update your paragraph to say something like this: "I can strongly communicate how a product/service meets the needs of consumers".

Duff_Man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by yeungjai
I would say that to make it easier on recruiters and hiring managers, don't disclose anything on your LI profile that you wouldn't disclose on your resume. Examples include:

Your photo (arguably)
Your marital status or family status
Disability status
Religion

And any other prohibited grounds for discrimination, wherever you are.

I am not saying this to say that you will be discriminated against and that you should guard against it, but from the employer's point of view, this is all unnecessary information. An employer has nothing to gain by being privy to this sort of information, but seeing it opens the doors to potential legal liabilities. For example, if a candidate is found off LI, moves through the recruitment process, and is not the one selected to be hired, they can allege that they were discriminated against based on something on their profile - it's one of the big reasons why people in the industry do not recruit off of facebook or more casual social networking sites. They don't want to be charged on discriminating against anyone on anything outside of the requirements of the position.

That's not exactly what I mean. For instance, I don't disclose on my LI profile my MA concentration, because it is specific enough that it could potentially compromise me and hinder my prospects for employment in a field that heavily emphasizes discretion.

Willie5566

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Duff_Man

Get on board. It will not be long before your "brand" is the only thing that will get you a job. Linked In is a great professional site. In addition to having a profile that can land you jobs, there are also discussion groups where some great ideas are being exchanged.

qma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stazy
I have a comment regarding the statement that "you create need". I think this is a common misconception amongst marketers. Marketers do not create need. Rather, the goal of marketing is to communicate how a product/service meets a need. For example, the need for entertainment. Marketers didn't create this need. It exists outside of marketing. Where marketing plays a role is communicating how a product meets one's entertainment needs.

I would update your paragraph to say something like this: "I can strongly communicate how a product/service meets the needs of consumers".

+1. A paraphrase would be a quote by Drucker, which I think sounds better:

"The aim of marketing is to know and understand the customer so well the product or service fits him and sells itself."

I think it could be a good idea to take this perspective and highlight that you understand that what makes good marketing is the ability to truly understand the customer and her needs - both those they are aware of and those they are not ("If I had listened to my customers I would have invented a faster horse" - Ford).

Stazy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by qma
+1. A paraphrase would be a quote by Drucker, which I think sounds better: "The aim of marketing is to know and understand the customer so well the product or service fits him and sells itself."
Agreed. Definitely more conscise than what I suggested.

WingTips

Reaction score
Does anyone know of anyone who has been offered a job through linkedin?

Redwoood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cross-post as this question seems more appropriate in this thread:

Originally Posted by Redwoood
Ok, a question for the pros here.
How do you reconcile the issue of protecting your privacy while having a widely-visible profile?
I mean, would you print 1000 copies of your resume and hand them out at the mall?
LinkedIn allows you to restrict profile views to connections or friends of connections, but doesn't this restrict a lot of its advantages as well?

unjung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Making information such as where I work public doesn't bother me.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score

Worry about personal information but I don't see any issue with professional experience and background being public. The world has changed.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads