• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What makes a double breasted suit look dated?

hangten

Reaction score
I understand that a single breated coat can look dated depending on the gorge, button placement, shoulder padding and width of the lapel. But what are the characteristcs that make a double breasted jacket look dated in a bad way like a low gorge on a SB jacket? I would imagine football shoulder pads would be one.

forsbergacct2000

Reaction score
"1926" embroidered into the pin stripe.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hangten
I understand that a single breated coat can look dated depending on the gorge, button placement, shoulder padding and width of the lapel. But what are the characteristcs that make a double breasted jacket look dated in a bad way like a low gorge on a SB jacket? I would imagine football shoulder pads would be one.

The fabrics, the colors, the (gone) shape, the proportion and if it's worn out.

hangten

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DocHolliday
More than anything, the button stance. Lot of awful 4x1s and 6x1s out there.

Thanks Doc, it was from one of your earlier posts where I actually figured out what a low gorge was.

neyus

Reaction score
Definitely the height of the gorge, buttoning stance, positioning and configuration, choice of fabrics in addition to the width of the lapel. Also notch lapels on DBs must be avoided and not only make the suit look dated, just down right creepy as well.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were notch lapels ever in vogue on DBs? I can't remember seeing more than a couple of them.

Maybe a brief Rat Pack moment in the early 60s.

Thom Browne brought them back in a Black Fleece piece or two.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
search yachtie's posts for a pictural explanation
devil.gif
peepwall[1].gif

jk jk

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
More than anything, the button stance. Lot of awful 4x1s and 6x1s out there.

There are 'Kent' 4x1 and 6x1 too which should look fine. The longer line of the x1 button can look quite elegant. A V button positioning immediately dates the suit though.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mack11211
Thom Browne brought them back in a Black Fleece piece or two.

Yes, TB has a BF db suit this season along with a blazer. He had a db blazer for spring and one last fall. All with notched lapels.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by unpainted huffheinz
There are 'Kent' 4x1 and 6x1 too which should look fine. The longer line of the x1 button can look quite elegant. A V button positioning immediately dates the suit though.

I don't like 6x1s or 4x1s in general, but I take your point. Some don't appeal to me, personally, but don't look dated the way others do.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't like 6x1s or 4x1s in general, but I take your point. Some don't appeal to me, personally, but don't look dated the way others do.
I would agree that most people searching for a DB on eBay should avoid the single buttoning ones in general. I have picked up some nice 4x1 suits and jackets second hand though. In particular the 4x1 gray tweed Corneliani with perhaps the highest RTW armholes ever. It is cut fairly short and I think Thom Browne would give a tooth for it. Do you have any double breasted suits, Doc? I don't recall seeing any pics of you in one.

unpainted huffheinz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The current trend of very narrow lapels makes for some really awful looking DB jackets and overcoats. I would avoid these as it is not going to last that long (apologies to Get Smart).

I have recently favored some rather wide lapels including a 'bat wing' or two, and my heavy winter overcoat is a vintage Ralph piece with lapels that cover acres.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads