• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What make Ties to buy?

Kroaker

Reaction score
My two favorite makers are Sam Hober and Drake's.

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Keep an eye on pantaclothing.com

They have some AWESOME ones coming up. I will have two at my door on Thursday.

seriously, raw silk striped Grenadine 3-fold? PERFECT.

The one I ordered:

Last edited:

mrjester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's worth pointing out that other tie-makers do exist, even amongst forum members:

Yellow Hook, from Brooklyn

Shibumi, from Germany

Panta, from New York

Vanda, from Singapore

And there are others...
Yeah actually Vanda is kickass too. I want some so bad. Thanks @Justinkapur for sending me the link, I'll go broke soon.

conradwu

Affiliate Vendor
Timed Out
Reaction score
Drake's and Vanda are my two personal favorites.

Hober for starters who are looking for simple and basic ties.

Stick to 3 fold ties; 6/7 folds are nice and considered a luxury but are more geared towards aficionados. Unless you are vain and go around showing off your folds, no one will care or notice besides yourself. But if you're baller rich then ignore everything I said and buy the most folds you can imagine. (I think they go up to 12?). There is a reason why the best tie maker in the world doesn't even bother with making anything but a regular 3 fold necktie.

Please don't go out and waste money buying 5-10 ties from **** like tiebar. You could offer me 200 of that crap and I'd still take a single Drake''s.

Last edited:

tdude

Reaction score
I've given up on drakes for the most part. Mostly too doggone narrow. Cappelli ties are great and the outlet ties are under $70. Your stuck with 3.5 by 57 though. Still. It's a good deal. Vanda ties are an acquired taste to me. They're very light and made without a keeper for the back blade. I think they might add a keeper if you ask. But I find them to be less business and more fashion/sprezzy whatever. So depends on why you're wearing a tie and what you like. I love their fabrics, but their chosen construction style is less suited to my tie-wearing environment. Henry carter sells ties too. dont have one, but what ive seen in pics looks nice. Panta has some nice ties too, but not as much selection. Plus my panta ties don't form quite the knot my eye prefers. Matter of taste and perhaps technique. Hober allows you to customize basic stuff for under $100. Details can be added for a cost. Hober doesn't have as many neat options as cappelli or some of the more odd fabrics Vanda has. But for business ties, great deal. Marinella, I only have one. A basic neat. No better than cappelli or hober, but I think they have some unique and rare print patterns. Too pricey for me. After handling all of these, I would not return to BB or brioni or zegna, or really any of the name brand guys. Most of those ties are shiny and Nordstromy. (I know, I know, SF has made me a snob)

Good luck on your acquisitions, and get ready, when you start handling these art house ties so to speak, you'll be hooked.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads