• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What luggage for airplane travel?

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Increasingly I have to travel for conferences and live shows in other cities (I'm a public radio host). That often means carrying a suit with me, and sometimes a couple, in addition to socks and underwear and whatnot.

I'm sure there are many businessmen here who travel similarly. I've really appreciated the advice on luggage brands I've read here, but what style of luggage do you carry, and how much?

I'd been carrying a big half-fold garment bag with external pockets that I bought at Costco five or eight years ago, and it had been doing fun (albeit ugly as sin), but I just broke a fastener, and I'm thinking about replacing it.

Suitcases? Rolling cases? Carry-ons? Garment bags? Duffels? When you're going for that more-than-a-weekend trip, and bringing grown up clothes, what do you carry?

fcuknu

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I travel I usually go with a duffle and a small suitcase (pretty much a wider version laptop case with room for clothes). This wont help you with a suit though.

earthdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I invested in a Rimowa, last year - the rollong one.
I love it - good capacity and I can store a Suit in the top section with out too much wrinkling.
I guess you just have to get used to the fact that any luggage being checked in, is going to take a beating.
It comes with TSA integrated locks (into the fastening mechanism) - so also, one less thing to worry about.
I use a Tumi 'Duffle' type bag, as my carry on.

MetroStyles

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I recommend a Briggs & Riley garment bag. You can get a large one that still counts as a carry-on but barely. Big enough for all your stuff, and it leaves your suits unwrinkled.

Concordia

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
At the moment, I am most likely to use a two-pocket suitcase from Glaser Designs that will work as carry-on. Can do 2 suits, shoes, and about 4 days' worth of shirts, shorts, socks.

You can get rigid and rolling gear that is roughly the same size, but it will be heavier and hold less stuff. Not a stupid trade-off, but one that should be carefully considered.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Concordia
At the moment, I am most likely to use a two-pocket suitcase from Glaser Designs that will work as carry-on. Can do 2 suits, shoes, and about 4 days' worth of shirts, shorts, socks.

Do you fold the suits inside the case? What technique do you use?

Caomhanach

Reaction score
Secondhand, old,beat up,held together with duct tape.
A thief isn't going to target this luggage.
Hint find a old set of classic quality luggage that still has structural integrity.

Kei-bon

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MetroStyles
I recommend a Briggs & Riley garment bag. You can get a large one that still counts as a carry-on but barely. Big enough for all your stuff, and it leaves your suits unwrinkled.
i think i have the same bag, and i like it very much. it gets a little heavy, but it's sturdy and well designed.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by YoungAmerican
Increasingly I have to travel for conferences and live shows in other cities (I'm a public radio host). That often means carrying a suit with me, and sometimes a couple, in addition to socks and underwear and whatnot. I'm sure there are many businessmen here who travel similarly. I've really appreciated the advice on luggage brands I've read here, but what style of luggage do you carry, and how much? I'd been carrying a big half-fold garment bag with external pockets that I bought at Costco five or eight years ago, and it had been doing fun (albeit ugly as sin), but I just broke a fastener, and I'm thinking about replacing it. Suitcases? Rolling cases? Carry-ons? Garment bags? Duffels? When you're going for that more-than-a-weekend trip, and bringing grown up clothes, what do you carry?
- No offense but do a search as this has been covered quite a few times, I know I have even posted pics of what I pack & the luggage I use. FYI I fly international every 3 weeks for 1 week at a time & need to pack at least 3 suits, 3 shoes, 5 shirts etc. - My choice is RIMOWA (yes do a search re the pros & cons v Haliburton)

PocketCircle

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I really can't make myself invest in something really expensive for air travel thinking of how badly it will be handled by the ground crew. Something solid, light and durable is more than enough for me. Hand luggage is a different story tho.

YoungAmerican

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- No offense but do a search as this has been covered quite a few times, I know I have even posted pics of what I pack & the luggage I use.
FYI I fly international every 3 weeks for 1 week at a time & need to pack at least 3 suits, 3 shoes, 5 shirts etc.
- My choice is RIMOWA (yes do a search re the pros & cons v Haliburton)

I did a lot of searching beforehand, and while there were a lot of brand recommendations, there weren't a lot of packing recommendtions.

I think I ran into your post (which was indeed helpful), but all the photos had expired.

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have been doing a lot of travel lately and have learned to appreciate the joys of checking luggage. Between the length of TSA checks and other hassles, I prefer to just drop my luggage off when I arrive at the airport and be done with it, rather than dragging stuff to the gate and on board. And in small airports, your bags are out before you can even get to baggage claim. (I have no idea if I would feel differently if I were doing a lot of non-US travel.)

Given that, I have made the switch to a medium sized Zero-H case. I open the clamshell, take the suit valise out and hang the suits up and I am done unpacking. The Zero is nice, but any hard case that pins stuff in place would be just as good.

JohnnyCrockett

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Phat Guido
- No offense but do a search as this has been covered quite a few times, I know I have even posted pics of what I pack & the luggage I use.
FYI I fly international every 3 weeks for 1 week at a time & need to pack at least 3 suits, 3 shoes, 5 shirts etc.
- My choice is RIMOWA (yes do a search re the pros & cons v Haliburton)

PG -- How do you do this? I can't imagine anyone who travels this much EVER checks luggage, but how can you do 3 suits and 3 prs of shoes in a carry-on?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads