• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What Line Are These Ferragamos?

dapperj

Reaction score
Any idea on whether these are studio, originale or tramezza? They are blake stitched and do not indicate what line they are anywhere. My guess would be an old pair of the mainline shoes. Does anyone think they are the studio line? If so, why?

clbcs

Reaction score
they are tramezza actually (top of the pops) but i think they have seen a little too much life and bad resoling

dapperj

Reaction score
Thanks for your response. How can you tell? Do you think they are worth restoring or should I toss them?
Any other thoughts?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fabric tag is almost certainly only used on Tramezza.

That pair of shoes is just beat to shit. Toe part is badly creased.

TOSS in trash (or listed in B&S) along with the rest of the junk that's being sold there.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree.

Lightly dampen all over (spray with a little water - including soles). Put on shoe trees. Wait a couple of days. Condition and polish. You'll probably be surprised by how much better they look. They typically use a very nice and supple leather for the Tramezza line.

Continuing storing on shoe trees and conditioning/polishing after every wearing for at least 5 - 6 wearings.

This is, of course, assuming you already own them. If not, turn and walk away - not worth the trouble.

Last edited:

dapperj

Reaction score
I am going to attempt to repair them. I'm expecting the worst so if they never look wearable that's okay with me. I expect it will be impossible to get rid of some of the cracks in the leather. I will post before/after pictures for anyone who is interested.

With that said, does anyone know of a cobbler that I could mail in the shoes to be resoled? I know there are plenty of good cobblers that are very capable of doing this but I want these shoes resoled with Ferragamo soles, which are apparently hard to find. I have been on the phone with two cobblers today both of which said they probably couldn't get Ferragamo soles. One of the cobblers I called was Rago Brothers which I've heard does a lot of work with Ferragamo...

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
cracks? that's another story altogether.

cracks cannot be repaired, I would not invest in a resole for a shoe with cracks in the uppers.

creases - no worries - cracks - no way.

Needsmoreshoes

Reaction score
At least try to attempt to repair them - it's not exactly going to cost you much and if it works out you'll get a pair of shoes out of it.

Even if you're skeptical about the outcomes I always find wee personal projects like these to be oddly therapeutic - post results if you give it a try.

Saphir Renovateur gets a really good name for this kinda stuff - in some threads I've seen old shoes look pretty much good as new, often the creases can be reduced by keeping them on good trees and conditioning them a few times before you wear them. Sometimes creases become pretty much invisible when you've got the shoes on so I wouldn't see them as enough of a reason to chuck them.

EDIT: Although just noticed you mentioned cracks - that's a whole thing altogether, it really depends if you mean superficial scratches or cracks at the creases.

Last edited:

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 58 17.6%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 110 33.4%
  • 8”

Votes: 99 30.1%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 36 10.9%
  • 9”

Votes: 13 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.1%