1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What kind of umbrella do you have?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by contactme_11, Aug 27, 2006.

1. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

They have a wide variety of models available. Amazon has this large one, among many others:

http://www.amazon.com/GustBuster-Cla...sporting-goods

Wow, that is a lot cheaper than what Neiman Marcus charges for the same umbrella.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/store/ca...d=prod16370140

Also would you recommend purchasing the doorman version instead of the classic? I like the fact that its canopy is larger, but I'm not sure if there is a rule on what size the canopy should be for a single user.

2. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

The doorman size is huge. The classic is more appropriate for a single person if you live in a city. No one likes the guy with a horrifically large umbrella to dodge.

3. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

Personally, I find a very large umbrella a little unweildy, and others can consider it rude when you take up a large chunk of sidewalk with a massive canopy. But it's really just personal preference.

4. lsquare

lsquare Senior member

The doorman size is huge. The classic is more appropriate for a single person if you live in a city. No one likes the guy with a horrifically large umbrella to dodge.

That's a good point! Well it's not like I got a GF to cover during the rain. I'll get the classic version then. Thanks a lot for the help guys!

5. MCsommerreid

MCsommerreid Senior member

A london fog. It's just big enough to be useful if the wind picks up, but isnt too big so as to take over the side walk.

6. Flame

Flame Senior member

London Fog with those buttons that allows you to open/close the brolly.

7. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

None at present. Damn storm last week shredded mine.

8. MrSmith2U

MrSmith2U Well-Known Member

Gentlemen,

My wife bought for me one of Mr Smith's fine umbrellas in, I believe, 1977.
    I remember this because it was the year of Her Majesty's Silver Jubilee.

The item has a silver band on the handle. It still performs its function as well today as it did then.

Smith.

9. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

A product still working properly after 30 years?
    Do you want to kill capitalism all together?
    Do you want to starve little children in China?
    You're lucky now if an umbella is working after a few months/years.....

10. Lamo

Lamo Senior member

what are the advantages of a silk canopy?

11. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

what are the advantages of a silk canopy?

Silk is traditional and, presumably, more luxurious than nylon. Nylon, however, is a bit more waterproof. Having owned both, I wouldn't pay the premium for silk.

12. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Senior member

$7 Samsonite from Filene's Basement, the button broke on my second night out. Now that it looks like crap, I probably won't lose this one like all the others.

13. Holdfast

Holdfast Senior member

I have several umbrellas secreted in strategic locations! [​IMG]

General use, I carry either a black, battered old M&S brolly or a (relatively) restrained Versace umbrella, depending on mood. However, in case I get caught out, I also have a cheap collapsible number in the boot of the car and another in the office at work. Both these mini-brollies were themselves urgent street-vendor purchases - one in NYC, the other in Tokyo. Got caught in thunderstorms in both cities without cover! Remarkably both have stood up to occasional use very well.

14. ACDoyle

ACDoyle Senior member

Check out the Ralph Lauren store, they carry a three or four different models, from the look seem to be made by Briggs
    During the recent sale was able to get a black one for $100. Very solid umbrella, though the RL version seem to be more bulky than the Briggs made for Dunhill

15. Lamo

Lamo Senior member

i hate this fucking thread. just wasted 400 on a stupid umbrella. oh well, at least doc saved me from further damage...

16. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

A product still working properly after 30 years? Do you want to kill capitalism all together? Do you want to starve little children in China? You're lucky now if an umbella is working after a few months/years.....
    My umbrella is 70 years old. Planned obsolescence is my mortal and dangerous enemy, despite my habit for odd designer clothing.

17. Almighty1

Almighty1 Well-Known Member

Anyone have any comments on the quality of these umbrella's?

Swiss Army by Victorinox Automatic Umbrella - $35
    [​IMG]

Davek SOLO from Davek New York - $95
    [​IMG]

18. masqueofhastur

masqueofhastur Senior member

I bought a $16 golf umbrella from safeway. With the tendency of wind here to blow umbrellas inside out if you're not paying attention it's ridiculous to spend more than a disposable price. If you don't actually need an umbrella to cover you when it rains I guess something else might be justified.

19. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

One reason to buy a more expensive umbrella like a Brigg is that they don't turn inside out.

20. Lamo

Lamo Senior member

i ordered the travel umbrella as a gift and am thinking about getting an oak for myself later on since they don't have it in size 25 currently.

talked with the lady at classicluggage, wonderful to chat with.