What kind of umbrella do you have?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by contactme_11, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

[​IMG]
    Isn't this bad luck?

2. lakewolf

lakewolf Senior member

Any evidence left?
    [​IMG]

I like the dress ( and what is inside it... )

Sorry again subconscious motivations [​IMG]

Et oui, merde il pleut aujourd'hui à Genève !

3. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Any difference aside from aesthetics between the maple, chestnut, bark chestnut, hickory, and bark ash on Brigg umbrellas? Do they wear differently? I'm sick of cheap disposables, and as it looks like it's going to rain for the next six months, I think it's about time to step up and get a real umbrella.

4. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I had a classic black Swain Adeney Brigg umbrella but it was stolen in Milan. [​IMG]

It was the best umbrella I have ever had. I paid $350, lord knows what it costs now...still I will buy one next visit to London.

5. Dan-

Dan- Well-Known Member

I have a basic black, spring-loaded, windproof one from Sharper Image. Given the wind gusts around here, a nicer, "pretty" umbrella is a waste of money.

I saw a guy yesterday who had matched his umbrella to his bow tie. Burgundy and white striped umbrella with burgundy bow tie with white dots. Was he one of you?

6. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

I had a classic black Swain Adeney Brigg umbrella but it was stolen in Milan. [​IMG] It was the best umbrella I have ever had. I paid $350, lord knows what it costs now...still I will buy one next visit to London.
    Classic Luggage has them for $235 [​IMG] Well, depending on the handle they can be much more expensive, but their prices are much better than the others I've been able to find.

7. TCN

TCN Senior member

Brigg, black nylon with maple shaft. I love it, sturdy, beautiful, and I'm afraid to lose it.

8. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

Thanks, will check out classic luggage...I had a model that unscrewed for packing.

9. Nantucket Red

Nantucket Red "Mr. Fashionista"

I have a Totes self-opening, self-collapsing umbrella. It stows away in my briefcase or backpack and is ready at a moment's notice. Perhaps not as large as I'd prefer, but adequate.

Gratuitous use of smiley. [​IMG]

10. kapay

kapay Well-Known Member

Castro Valley, Oakland, San Francisco California
    I have a basic black, spring-loaded, windproof one from Sharper Image. Given the wind gusts around here, a nicer, "pretty" umbrella is a waste of money. I saw a guy yesterday who had matched his umbrella to his bow tie. Burgundy and white striped umbrella with burgundy bow tie with white dots. Was he one of you?
    Yeah, I was thinking of getting an Umbrella from Sharper Image or Brookstone since it gets fairly windy in San Francisco. I've seen too many 'cute' umbrellas carried by foriegn ESL classmates get thrown in the trash. Any thoughts? Are they too ugly, cheap?

11. 11hr

11hr Member

Any difference aside from aesthetics between the maple, chestnut, bark chestnut, hickory, and bark ash on Brigg umbrellas? Do they wear differently? I'm sick of cheap disposables, and as it looks like it's going to rain for the next six months, I think it's about time to step up and get a real umbrella.

I have a SAB in Hickory, and it has a lot of grain contrast and darkening due to differential heating while bending. The top of the round is significantly lighter than the nob end and the start of the bend, with the inside curve being the darkest. It's a pleasing effect. I had hoped that the handle would darken or lighten with use or age, but a deep patina is unlikely to develop due to the lacquer.

I chose hickory based on its desity and strength in addition to its looks. It isn't a chocolate swirl walnut but it is instantly recongnizable as a nice chunk of wood, rather than a varnished piece of pine or whatever.

As far as value goes, look at classicluggage. I am not thrilled with my SAB, for the money. A $250 umbrella should be perfect.

-11hr

12. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Is it wrong to order a navy canopy? [​IMG]

13. Joel_Cairo

Joel_Cairo Senior member

"I never buy umbrellas because there's always one around" -Tom Waits

14. Associate

Associate Senior member

There's a bespoke umbrella maker in Napoli, name of Mario Talarico. I've contemplated ordering an umbrella this year but for some reason the website is gone. they had an extensive choice of woods and colors for the canopy. Wonder what happened.

A more famous Italian maker is Maglia

15. Anthony Jordan

Anthony Jordan Senior member

I have two vintage (1960s? 1970s?) Fox-frame umbrellas retailed by M&S, one whangee handle and one malacca. Both have gold-plated collars and are fairly decent items, well worth the aggregate total of five pounds I paid for them! (The wonder of charity shops.) They are still only a pale reflection of my much-loved James Smith & Sons whangee-handle that some thieving sod walked off with when I left it on the 'bus last year, though...