What Kind Of Tie To Wear To An Evening Party?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by vimassive, May 27, 2012.

1. vimassive

vimassive Member

I'm going to a somewhat fancy party in a few weeks and I'm wondering if you all have input as to what kind of tie I should wear. It's not a black tie event - normally I would wear a tuxedo, but it's my girlfriend's parent's party and her dad isn't wearing a tux and I don't want to seem like I'm showing people up, etc.

But it is "jacket and tie required". I'm planning to wear a dark navy suit (cotton because it'll be in June and I roast even in summer-weight wool [an oxymoron as far as I'm concerned]) with a white, spread collar, french cuff shirt. I'm a fan of striped ties, but that kind of seems too "business-y" for an evening party. Anyone have suggestions? Is there a conventional wisdom approach to this situation?

2. F. Corbera

F. Corbera Senior member

Solid dark blue tie, with more sheen perhaps than you would wear during the day.

White shirt. White hanky. Black oxfords. A flower in the lapel if you dare.

3. vimassive

vimassive Member

That's what I was thinking -- I have a solid navy tie with a bit of sheen and a navy tie with very fine stripes, so it basically looks like a solid navy tie with some texture. I'm thinking I'll wear one of those.

Linen or silk white pocket square?

4. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

cotton suit for a fancy evening party, eh? You're lucky former member voxsartoria is not her dad or she'd be your ex-girlfriend before the end of the event.

5. vimassive

vimassive Member

I guess I could wear a wool suit -- but it's just gonna be so friggin' hot because it's in mid June.....it is indoors, and probably air-conditioned. I figured it wouldn't be too out of sort if the suit's a dark color and very well-pressed....but maybe you're right...

6. Snedley

Snedley Senior member

You know nothing about wool. A tropical weight wool or wool blend suit is lighter than cotton and feels cooler. . Of course if you wear to wear a suit skin tight like a nerd than any material will feel hot. In a place like NY or Boston you can wear tropical weight from May to Oct at the very least and in mostof the US that should be the weight of your year round suits.

7. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Its true that an appropriate wool is not going to be hot. You confuse a wool sweater than what wool's true characteristics are.

Regarding the tie, something like this blue one would be nice also

[​IMG]

8. vimassive

vimassive Member

Maybe it's just a mental thing, but even the tropical weight wool suits I have feel a lot warmer than my cotton suits. I think it's a wash between the jackets, but the wool pants are (or at least seem) hotter.

And I don't think it's relevant that I'm in NYC. Once it's over 80 outside, wool suits just burn up on me. And it's definitely over 80 for a lot of June.

9. GBR

GBR Senior member

Cotton suit is fine for an evening event unless it is desperately formal. By the sounds it would have been specified as evening dress had that been the case so go and wear it and enjoy.

10. jamesny

jamesny Senior member

Navy suit and this sOunds good.

11. Grenadier

Grenadier Senior member

How about a black satin or grenadine tie? Ralph Lauren Purple Label also has a large number of black ties with small white micro-patterns that would look rather elegant.

12. HRH Demetri

HRH Demetri Member

Hey I dont know about your personal preferences, but if I was invited I would wear my DB Navy Blaser, dark or light grey pants, black shoes (your preference lace up/loafers0 white pocket hankie or color striped repp tie. If you are game and are comfortable in your skin what about a bright colored or stripped bow tie and a flower in your lapel ! Whatever you do be comfortable in what you are choosing and happy with it, and smile a lot.

13. sborg

sborg Well-Known Member

a pleated silk woven tie

14. vimassive

vimassive Member

A black tie with a navy suit? Maybe it's just me, but I don't like combining navy and black.

15. Rompson

Rompson Senior member

You kidding? Black tie with a navy suit is a classic combo.