• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of tie should my boss wear

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My boss, who travels far more often than I do, usually picks up his dress clothes on the road, at airport duty free shops. He says he favors Hermes ties, as they are better suited for his size (he's Asian, about 5 feet tall, plump). Does one choose one's tie based on one's height? I suppose it might be true for the print, but what about the shape of the tie itself?

This is slightly uncomfortable territory, but he did initiate the conversation, and we talked about clothing. I recommended a good men's store in the city, as I know he is in dire need of advice and help. But it really isn't my place, so I feel a little uneasy about it. He is single, btw, no wife or girlfriend to potentially help.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There was a thread a while back about shorter tie lengths. Many people seem to have indicated an interest but when puch came to shove no, one really responded.

What I find interesting about this particular issue is that Hermes ties will make a thin knot and not bulk due to the fact that 1) its a smooth print (unless he is referring to the wovens) and 2) their linings are also thin. What this will do is not eat up length on the tie unless he is making a really full knot and you will be left with a longer tie.

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He's best going with something that will make a reasonbly thick four in hand, or a not so thick windsor, so that it will eat up some length, as FIH said.

Also, I think a thinner tie will look better -- too wide and it will fill up his torso too much. My choice would be something like a Brioni or Massimo Bizzochi woven tie. On the thinner side, and will tie a reasonably thick (but not too thick) knot that will eat up some length.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I think shorter guys look better in narrower ties. There are exceptions, of course; for instance, the Neapolitans are not tall, and they wear wide ties. But the width of their ties is in keeping with the overall proportions of the rest of their clothes (large spread collars, wide lapels, etc.).

For most men, I would say to stick with narrow ties, 3 1/2" or less. Since Hermes makes a narrowish tie, that's a good bet. So are a lot of the ties sold at traditional English haberdashers, like New & Lingwood.

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance: how many common ways of tying a tie are there? I think he does a Windsor knot. So it looks like he has a pretty good understanding of what suits him best. If only it were the same for his pant length. He typically wears very nice dress shirts when the Board is in. Also Hermes, I'm fairly sure.

STYLESTUDENT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
 He says he favors Hermes ties, as they are better suited for his size (he's Asian, about 5 feet tall, plump). Does one choose one's tie based on one's height?  I suppose it might be true for the print, but what about the shape of the tie itself?
I wear Hermes ties, tie them in a conventional four-in-hand knot, and, though I'm 8' taller than your Asian boss, find that they're all slightly long.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
how many common ways of tying a tie are there?
"Common"? Three or four at most. Two math professors wrote a book claiming that, in all, there are 85 possible tie knots.

I think he does a Windsor knot. So it looks like he has a pretty good understanding of what suits him best.
The Windsor knot suits no one best. It is an ugly knot, in my opinion.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Not to detract from the thin tie camp, wouldnt a chubby fellow underscore his width with a narrow tie?
To my eye, it has a "lobster bib" effect. A short stout guy is better off with a narrow tie, and a smooth draping coat with narrow lapels with a long roll. All the illusions he needs, because of the realities he lacks.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if he is "plump" he may have a big neck. that can eat of the length of the tie. I am short but have a huge neck, and hat evens things out. also, narrow ties are not very good on the plump.

depends on how plump, F

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
(Fabienne @ Jan. 25 2005,12:56) how many common ways of tying a tie are there?
"Common"? Â Three or four at most. Â Two math professors wrote a book claiming that, in all, there are 85 possible tie knots.
I think he does a Windsor knot. Â So it looks like he has a pretty good understanding of what suits him best.
The Windsor knot suits no one best. Â It is an ugly knot, in my opinion.
Well, I don't know, he's seeking advice without seeking advice, so I don't know what to do, especially since I'm not exactly the best person he could ask. Hopefully, we'll talk about the latest Indian novel he read next time he drops by my office.

FIHTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Two math professors wrote a book claiming that, in all, there are 85 possible tie knots.
One of my better customers, having gone through the book has informed me that in reality the 85 different ways of tying yield only about 13 different knots.

Regardless, the pdf file on the book can be found iin the HOF best posts thread.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Why do you think it is ugly?
Too bulbous and symetrical and slope-sided.  All in all, too studied, like a dead sculpture to be gazed at rather than a living piece of cloth to be worn.  (Jeez, that sounds pretentious ...)

Fabienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A short stout guy is better off with a narrow tie, and a smooth draping coat with narrow lapels with a long roll.  All the illusions he needs, because of the realities he lacks.
How I wish I could copy this on a virgin piece of paper and leave it anonymously on his chair...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads