1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

what kind of television do you have or want to have?

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by faustian bargain, Apr 3, 2006.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

This is news to me. My understanding is that only the HP, Sony's SXRD and the JVC version of the SXRD technology are 1080p. The LCD and DLP offerings that are out there from the various brands are 1080 lines interlaced. Not looking for a debate, as I am extremely happy with what I have, but I've read differently or at least interpreted what I've read differently.
    I’m not saying that all digital is 1080p, not at all. What I am saying is that all digital TV’s are progressive. That is to say that the native format it displays images is progressive, whether 1080 or 720, and if an image is interlaced, it up-converts them to the TV’s native format (lets consider that 1080i image to a 720p TV is an up-conversion). DLP could not interlace an image because the mirrors are either on or off. They switch from either On / Off, and depending the degree they move, the shades of gray are created. In the On position the mirror emits totally white light, in the Off position the mirror emits a black image. At the same time, each mirror is a pixel in the image. And since the mirrors only move when the picture changes, it can only run things progressively, i.e. smoothly, it cannot combine two images and run them a-la CRT in an interlaced manner. LCD works in the same manner, but what it does is turn on or off the 3 RGB diodes inside each pixel. Jon.

2. briancl

briancl Senior member

we just got the sony bravia 40" xlr lcd. we did a lot of shopping/side-by-side auditioning with plasmas and other top of the line lcd's.. and in the end, we felt this was the best color and picture for both SD and HD available at 40". we've been using it for about 2 months now for hdtv, dvds, sd-quality tivo, and sdtv.. its great for everything.. im happy with it.. paid 2700..