• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of physique do you need to look good in Tom Ford?

RKNix

Reaction score
I'm 6'2'', 180 lbs, somewhat athletic (I go to the gym a couple of times a week) and I love Tom Ford (the brand, but I'm straight, so I wouldn't go and kiss Tom Ford the man).

I've read many posts where certain people don't have the "right" physique to look good in Tom Ford.

What physique does someone need to look good in Tom Ford?

atila

Reaction score
As long as you're fit and get your suits tailored it shouldn't matter too much if you think you can pull off the look.

It doesn't matter if your suit costs $300 or $3,000, if you're not fit you probably won't look appealing to the masses.

RKNix

Reaction score
As long as you're fit and get your suits tailored it shouldn't matter too much if you think you can pull off the look.
It doesn't matter if your suit costs $300 or $3,000, if you're not fit you probably won't look appealing to the masses.

As long as you don't have a big gut, then you're clear to look good in Tom Ford?

robinsongreen68

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you need a good drop (ie chest to wait ratio)- 8 inches or more.

for me the main thing is that you need to have broad shoulders. the shoulders on his suits are so aggressively wide/ padded that if that isn't pretty much in line with your natural body type, it will look ridiculous.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
you need a good drop (ie chest to wait ratio)- 8 inches or more.
for me the main thing is that you need to have broad shoulders. the shoulders on his suits are so aggressively wide/ padded that if that isn't pretty much in line with your natural body type, it will look ridiculous.

I have no clue on Tom Ford, but the above seems wrong on both counts.

a) An 8-inch drop is a big drop (how many people do you know with 42" chests and 34" waists?). If TF was limited to only such a select demographic, he wouldn't sell very many suits.
b) You're suggesting pairing broad shoulders w/ an aggressively padded shoulder? That would look ridiculous - I would say the inverse is actually a far better look - i.e. pairing broad shoulders w/ a natural-shouldered coat. Otherwise you're just gilding the lilly, which is a very poor look.

Stugotes

Reaction score
I'm 6'2'', 180 lbs, somewhat athletic (I go to the gym a couple of times a week) and I love Tom Ford (the brand, but I'm straight, so I wouldn't go and kiss Tom Ford the man).

I've read many posts where certain people don't have the "right" physique to look good in Tom Ford.

What physique does someone need to look good in Tom Ford?

With body fat around 15% or less (e.g. no gut, as someone already said) you sound rather athletic indeed and should fit perfectly into a TF suit. I'm 6-2 too (although a little lighter) and TF fits me perfectly (imo). Just make sure you get the right cuts, Base A is too wide for me, Base B - F should be fine.

Nereis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

a)  An 8-inch drop is a big drop (how many people do you know with 42" chests and 34" waists?). If TF was limited to only such a select demographic, he wouldn't sell very many suits.
b)  You're suggesting pairing broad shoulders w/ an aggressively padded shoulder? That would look ridiculous - I would say the inverse is actually a far better look - i.e. pairing broad shoulders w/ a natural-shouldered coat. Otherwise you're just gilding the lilly, which is a very poor look.

I actually have a legitimate 10 inch drop.

It isn't hard to accomplish if you've lifted for a few years and your bf is around 10% or so.

I'd actually wager most young men who keep themselves in shape have an 8 inch drop. A 40inch chest and a 32inch waist measurement aren't exactly Adonis levels of muscularity.

Stugotes

Reaction score
It isn't hard to accomplish if you've lifted for a few years and your bf is around 10% or so.
I'd actually wager most young men who keep themselves in shape have an 8 inch drop. A 40inch chest and a 32inch waist measurement aren't exactly Adonis levels of muscularity.

Seconded, my drop is ~8 inch and I'm not that much of a hardcore lifter anymore.

Eustace Tilley

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I'd rather not belabor the point, but a true 42" chest (i.e. not suit size, but the actual measurement), coupled with a 34" chest is rare (I have been lifting consistently for over 15 years, and have a good sense of what type of physique these measurements would equate to.) To only extrapolate on your point, how many people do you know who truly have 10% bodyfat? I hope you're not suggesting that TF is designing their garments to optimally fit only 2% of the male population (which is dramatically skewed towards the younger, and, by extension poorer)

I now await a dozen responses going, "I have 10% bodyfat, and its no big deal bra." Ahh, gotta love the internets!

chobochobo

Rubber Chicken
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm a fairly average 40R, no massive drop etc and TF fits me quite well, from my sample size of two

Xenon

Reaction score

I'd rather not belabor the point, but a true 42" chest (i.e. not suit size, but the actual measurement), coupled with a 34" chest is rare (I have been lifting consistently for over 15 years, and have a good sense of what type of physique these measurements would equate to.) To only extrapolate on your point, how many people do you know who truly have 10% bodyfat? I hope you're not suggesting that TF is designing their garments to optimally fit only 2% of the male population (which is dramatically skewed towards the younger, and, by extension poorer)

I now await a dozen responses going, "I have 10% bodyfat, and its no big deal bra." Ahh, gotta love the internets!

I have to agree with this fully. If you are a normal joe with normal sloped shouldres, no extremes anywhere you should look good in a properly tailored TF. That's the beauty of them and what they are for. In contrast I am a thin short guy (5' 6") with a 8" drop (true 36-37 chest, 28-29 waist) and broad very square shoulders due to my bone structure and unfortuneatly I look ridiculous in a TF suit. Very top heavy, munsterish. It took my usual trusty SA at Harry Rosen 2 seconds to tell me what I realized upon looking in the mirror: take the suit off and forget about TF.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

a)  An 8-inch drop is a big drop (how many people do you know with 42" chests and 34" waists?). If TF was limited to only such a select demographic, he wouldn't sell very many suits.

With body fat around 15% or less (e.g. no gut, as someone already said) you sound rather athletic indeed and should fit perfectly into a TF suit. I'm 6-2 too (although a little lighter) and TF fits me perfectly (imo). Just make sure you get the right cuts, Base A is too wide for me, Base B - F should be fine.

You guys are scary.

15%BF is considered borderline overweight middle aged.

You're also forgetting drop is tied to body type. I'd be almost overweight with an eight inch drop. A meso is built differently then an Ecto/Endo body type.

It's no different then women. An hourglass woman is going to have a far higher drop then a twiggy type woman. It's not a reflection of fat or athleticism.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Tom Ford RTW is typically sold in a five or six inch drop, depending on size. A euro 52R / anglo 42R comes with 36" waist trousers, for example.

Shoulder expression has nothing to do with chest to waist drop.

Tom Ford isn't made for athletic physiques. It is made for the typical consumer of expensive RTW, who is usually flabby and overweight. The boxy shoulder treatment and loud feature set of many (not all) of the TF jackets can possibly make such a man look more athletic if one's concept of athleticism comes from cartoons, comic books, or action figure dolls.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads