• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Kind of Menswear Customer Are You?

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Let's talk about how you all buy your clothes. This thread is inspired by a comment I saw in the Luxe Swap Official Affiliate Thread. Someone (can't remember who, sorry) essentially said that he shops at consignment stores because he can't afford bespoke prices. He also seemed to suggest that that's why most of the people who buy clothes second hand do so as well.

I know that's not the case for me. I'm all over the place in terms of my buying habits. I shop at consignment stores, retail, MTM and bespoke. Large shops, small ones, and almost all in between. Experiencing the gamut of options for consumption has been a joy over the years because you get to meet different kinds of people doing business in different kinds of ways. And if you are interested in menswear as a business as well as an aesthetic statement this can be fascinating.

I admit that there is something special about having an old vintage suit in your hands, made from a cloth that isn't available anymore, and by people who likely had been in the business for years. So too is it something special to have something new made just for you by a good bespoke tailor. But am I alone in this? I know @Manton was known for proclaiming that he was a bespoke customer, likely to this exception of most all other options (at least that's what he said).

But what about you? Do you stick to one thing, one source for clothes? Do you experiment with retailers or other clothing sources? Why, or why not?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads