• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of men can wear bow ties gracefully on daily basis?

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aside from with a Tux or tailcoat , I'm afraid the Redenbacher Effect is dominant.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think the danger is that they play into certain physical stereotypes. They can make a skinny guy look nerdy, a WASPy guy look arrogant, a fat guy look like he's wearing a bowtie. Sort of like wearing a hat, everything else has to be just right, and the guy has to understand (and accept) the image he's projecting.

They're best for guys who are socially at ease, I think. The more outgoing and naturally friendly you are, the less room people have to make assumptions about you.

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think the danger is that they play into certain physical stereotypes. They can make a skinny guy look nerdy, a WASPy guy look arrogant, a fat guy look like he's wearing a bowtie. Sort of like wearing a hat, everything else has to be just right, and the guy has to understand (and accept) the image he's projecting.

They're best for guys who are socially at ease, I think. The more outgoing and naturally friendly you are, the less room people have to make assumptions about you.

I see where you're going, but the difference is that a hat is functional as well as decorative so IMO it doesn't have such associations as a bow tie does.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

They can make a skinny guy look nerdy, a WASPy guy look arrogant, a fat guy look like he's wearing a bowtie.

For anyone who appreciates WASPy women there can be an added benefit. Several such women I know can't resist coming over and fidgeting with my bowtie. And when they are done, I always look at the nearest mirror (or other reflection) and offer, "Oh, much better." It never fails to bring a smile to their face.

Last edited:

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wear a bow tie once a week. I wouldn't wear it for a jury trial, but I have no problem wearing them for hearings or oral argument. I was sorely tempted to wear one last time I went up before the Superior Court for oral argument, but decided against it at the last minute. I wore one to an arbitration last month and the arbitrator was wearing one as well and we both nodded to each other.

I like it on a once a week basis.

bourbonbasted

Cyber Eliitist
Reaction score

+1. Now that I am thinking about it I actually find myself being more laid back and ready to have a good time while wearing one. Discovering a pronouncedly heightened subconscious personalty shift? Holdfast would be proud.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I see where you're going, but the difference is that a hat is functional as well as decorative so IMO it doesn't have such associations as a bow tie does.

A fedora or panama on a dude my age is pretty unusual. But I like wearing them, so I do. I tell myself that the practical application makes them look more sensible, and I pair them with appropriate clothing, but, ultimately, I'm willing to look a bit eccentric. And that's the test for any uncommon item of apparel: Are you willing to be honest with yourself about how it makes you look, and are you comfortable being seen that way?

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

A fedora or panama on a dude my age is pretty unusual. But I like wearing them, so I do. I tell myself that the practical application makes them look more sensible, and I pair them with appropriate clothing, but, ultimately, I'm willing to look a bit eccentric. And that's the test for any uncommon item of apparel: Are you willing to be honest with yourself about how it makes you look, and are you comfortable being seen that way?
You've got a point. I note that I see more hats on men in communities that generally pride themselves on being different. Berkeley is a good example. Yesterday on the course of a ten minute drive to the house, I saw four men in Panama hats and one in a straw fedora. But this does not extend to bow ties ... then again I don't see many ties in Berkeley.

Last edited:

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been trying to talk myself into buying a bow tie...but just can't pull the trigger! Are they acceptable to wear with a navy blazer? I associate bow ties with the South, summer, Hemingway, seersucker and khaki suits.

Last edited:

yachtie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been wearing them for so long I don't really think about it. Compared to some of the other stuff I wear, I don't think a hat adds much eccentricity. :D I can't say the same for bow ties though- they're in the ascot group for me- too outre/affected.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I've been trying to talk myself into buying a bow tie...but just can't pull the trigger! Are they acceptable to wear with a navy blazer? I associate bow ties with the South, summer, Hemingway, seersucker and khaki suits.
My bet is that it will go over better in Alexandria than Austin.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

landshark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

You've got a point. I note that I see more hats on men in communities that generally pride themselves on being different. Berkeley is a good example. Yesterday on the course of a ten minute drive to the house, I saw four men in Panama hats and one in a straw fedora. But this does not extend to bow ties ... then again I don't see many ties in Berkeley.

Earlier this January, when Rick Perry gave his inaugural address in front of the Texas State Capitol in Austin, just about half the men (that were not seated) in the crowd were wearing traditional style hats. That is, wider brim fedoras, cowboy hats, etc. I was actually very shocked to see this, as I was wearing a vintage fedora with a SC and trousers that day and just happened to be walking by the capitol when the speech started.

My bet is that it will go over better in Alexandria than Austin.

I've worn a bow tie in Austin, formally and informally. It works just fine here.

True...no one in Austin wears a tie!!

I wear one every day.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads