• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of mattress do you use?

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
So I just bought a new mattress, and I am having buyer's remorse. I bought a firm mattress, given that I occasionally, in my "age," end up with a slightly achey back. I thought it would cure my ills and be a good choice moving forward. However, as I am a guy with broader shoulders and I'm pretty big to begin with, after two nights I'm wondering if my pain wasn't more attributable to just a ****** old mattress and not the softness. Now that I'm reading, I see that despite the common wisdom, harder != better, and man did I have a rough night last night. Not only are my arms and shoulders sore in the morning, and my neck kinked, but I even woke up with a cramp in my lower back this morning.

Does anyone have any good mattress advice? I'm sure I would get used to this eventually, but the best night of sleep I ever had was on a Westin bed in Shanghai, and it was definitely pretty soft.

For a fee, I can take this thing back and exchange it, as long as it's within the next 2 weeks, and as long as I don't **** myself in bed and stain the thing.

thekunk07

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
dunno. too many *** and piss stains to tell what brand it is anymore.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
the lower back ache from sleeping on a hard surface (like the floor) is due to the pelvis/butt area acting as a fulcrum , your legs push downwards , jimmying up your lower back acutely.

i have a firm mattress too (dunlopillo latex mattress) which is very firm but molds to the body so the pelvis sinks into the mattress enough so the fulcrum action doesnt happen. it is a very worthwhile purchase to get a very qualitative mattress.

scarphe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
a sold oak board.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you a back, side, or stomach sleeper? I am primarily a back sleeper with a bit of side. I went into the mattress buying process thinking I wanted a firmer bed, but discovered firm beds are bad for side sleeping. I ended up with a Simmons Beautyrest Classic plush top, which is essentially the Westin Heavenly Bed (which I find to be a bit too soft) minus the pillowtop. I'm pretty satisfied with it.

The best advice is to go to a mattress store and do a lot of testing.

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ I understand that if you sleep on your stomach that's actually bad for you back. I own a sleep number bed. Don't buy one.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am definitely a side sleeper, though I do pass out on my back when I've had too much to drink!

I should have done more testing, but for a variety of reasons, we were in a hurry, needed a new mattress quickly, and we impulse bought, with me thinking firmer would be better for me in the long run. Not smart, I know.

chas

Reaction score
FWIW I have a Tempurpedic and couldn't be happier. But they are not for everyone. I suggest you try one out if possible.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Tempur does not fit my budget.
frown.gif

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Douglas
Tempur does not fit my budget.
frown.gif

This may be one of the things in life you have to treat yourself with. You do spend 6-9 hours in bed and the amount/type or sleep generally effects your all day mood.

Douglas

Stupid ass member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Slopho
This may be one of the things in life you have to treat yourself with. You do spend 6-9 hours in bed and the amount/type or sleep generally effects your all day mood.

Screw you, asshole.

Cavalier

Reaction score
I have a firm sealy and love it.. I use a feather bed on top during the winter

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a side sleeper, you definitely need a softer bed. Why don't you buy the Westin Heavenly bed if you liked it? You can buy directly from Westin or from Nordstrom. I'm pretty sure Nordstrom will put the bed on sale in August.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads