What kind of knives, pans and other kitchen stuff do I need for uni

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by fuji, Mar 14, 2012.

1. fuji

fuji Senior member

Thanks for the advice, I don't intend to spend much money and I probably won't have much space. I don't think im gonna have an oven, not sure. My diet will probably consist of chicken breast, cheap fish, sweet potatoes, eggs and fruit. I will also probably have dick heads using my shit, so I don't want anything, which needs too much maintenance. I really don't think I need a pot or even a sauce pan, I don't think I've ever used a pot to make anything, I just fry everything in olive oil with some tomatoes and peppers and its always good.

Mum is saying I should get blue steel (no zoolander), what is that? I don't understand what is so complicated about cast iron, I just put some water in it and scrub it a bit after use. Do pans have lids? I use a lid off a pot and just put it over the pan usually. Gonna try cook in SS today and see if its ok.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

she's talking about carbon steel. basically steel with high carbon content. de buyer's is a big brand.

the complicated thing about cast iron is that you have to season it to get it nonstick (a pain in the ass) and not use any acidic things in it to keep it non stick. carbon steel has the same drawback. otoh they retain and get more nonstick forever if you keep it in good condition unlike teflon stuff where the coating will wear off over time and you'll need a new pan.

i'd recommend stainless steel. the tramontina line from walmart is honestly highly highly recommended. just buy the pieces you need one at a time. if you think you can manage with just one skillet then just buy one skillet.

surrious? honing steels suck. they dont sharpen. they just line the burrs up so you get a better edge. sooner or later you're going to have to remove some metal from the edge to be able to cut anything. you can either pay some dude 15 to 25 bucks to sharpen your knives or you can just sharpen it on a whetstone. most people can't even keep the knife at a straight angle for the whole edge when using honing steels and their knives are honed at just one point and then they wonder why their knives aren't as sharp as before

you dont need a japanese waterstone. but you either want a fine grit stone (6000+) and a medium to low grit stone (1000~1200). a combination stone is cheaper than buying separately. these are pretty cheap.

waterstones are really not that difficult once you get used to it and using them does not take much time out of your day.

otherwise a lot of the cheap electric sharpeners remove too much metal and using them too often will give your knives an odd shape

also i wouldnt buy shit to throw away in a year or two. buy decent quality stuff you can use until you have a stable job and can or want to upgrade to better things. why buy disposable shit when you can buy good quality long lasting shit that will make cooking less stressful for not much more (the forschner gyuto is 25, the zhen i linked is 55)

i dunno about the uk but there are lots of restaurant supply stores in the US that are open to the public. buy cheap shit like tongs, cutting boards, spatula, etc whatever there.

you'll need containers to store left overs. my advice is not to spend money on cheap plastic ziploc or tupperware containers, but to buy a bunch of restaurant to go containers in quarts and pint sizes. so much more easy to store as there is only one size lid and they are all stackable

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  3. Rockwell

Rockwell Well-Known Member

I would say to just get something that is decent and cheap (within reason. Not dollar store junk). Chances are once you move out on your own if you still like cooking you'll want to get better knives and pots and pans. Just get something that will last you through Uni and then toss them or sell it on craigslist. I can almost guarantee that you wont use this set for the rest of your life.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  4. impolyt_one

impolyt_one Senior member

"Q: hey guys, I am going off to university, I don't want to spend much or buy more than 2 cooking vessels, what should I get? are my $20 knives ok?

Styleforum A: That is junk. Buy some decent stuff that'll last a few years. Here's a link to the most expensive kitchen tools store in the world, buy something from here."

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  5. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

eh i linked to korin because it was one of the places i first thought of for combination whetstones

prices seem aiight to me

tramontina 12 in skillet - 40
    tramontina 8 in skillet - 22
    zhen gyuto - 55
    zhen paring - 15
    combination arkansas whetstone - 20

that's a set of equipment i wouldnt mind using for several years before earning the excess income to upgrade. the cost difference is marginal and the equipment much more pleasant to use.

another 100 spent at a restaurant supply store or a thrift store (on spatulas, tongs, wooden spoons, cutting board, cutlery, cups, plates and bowls) and you have basically a brand new kitchen. also i dont know about your school but mine had a thing called dump and run where people living in dorms would donate all the stuff they didnt need and a charity organization would store it over the summer and sell it to freshmen next year for really really cheap prices

i used to have have chicago cutlery knives. i gave them away when i got a forschner because i realized how difficult cutting and chopping had been with the chicago cutlery. you want sharp knives. chicago cutlery can never really be sharp enough to even cut a tomato without squishing it. especially not with just a honing steel

why buy shitty equipment you'll hate using for one to two years just to throw them away?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

I haven't read the rest of the thread, so I don't know if what I am going to say has been mentioned...

I'd get a relatively heavy chef's knife that isn't too expensive, and a more expensive paring knife with a nice thin blade. Fancy chef's knives are great, but if you only have one, you need something you can use to cut through chicken bones or cut off fish heads or something, and a nice sturdy version will do you right. Sharpening is controversial. I never use a steel anymore, but I'd wait on a stone to see if you think it is worth it.

I hate cast iron. I don't like having to worry about rust, and god damn it, if I drink more than a little, or my wife and I want to hump rather than clean after dinner, I don't want to feel like I am paying some sort of price by putting it off until the next morning. That would go double at uni.

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Some of you dudes other than impolyt have apparently never been to college. Kid needs cheap stuff, decent quality, and he has little space. I'd get a cheap ass chefs knife, a paring knufe (for your purposes, fuji, chicago cutlery is just fine) and maybe a serrated knife. Then you need your cast iron, a 10-Inch saute pan, amd a 2 or 4 qt saucepan. Do you an oven or just a hotplate type setup? If an oven, grt one sheet pan and one rack thatll fit it. Other than that, you just need a spatula, wooden spoon, tongs, maybe a whisk, and all of your plates and sikverware and the stuff impo mentioned like can opener and corkscrew.

Start another thread when you get an apartment and obviously the list will grow in quantity and quality but for dorm living you dont needanything else.

8. itsstillmatt

Only people who don't have sex use cast iron.

9. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Guilty as charged.

10. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Then again, I have a team of peons to do my dishes for me.

11. itsstillmatt

I try to keep peeing out of my sex life, but you midwesterners get pretty kinky.

12. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

ojfc

13. mgm9128

mgm9128 Senior member

You need a device that will maintain precise temperature control of a water bath.

14. ehkay

ehkay Senior member

Another meltdown?

15. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

you tell me but considering how quickly you pounced, i'd say yes, one is coming soon.