What kind of jacket is this?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by razl, Mar 9, 2013.

1. razl

razl Senior member

I'm on the hunt for a light jacket like the ones below. They are neither a Harrington nor a Bomber - what style are they called? Also, I'd be interested in any pointers to similar alternatives that are in a very light material (poplin, linen, or wool - either 100% or blends):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(ps yes the zippered pockets on that last example are horrible. It even looks like the sleeves are unfinished too...)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013

2. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

I see them often referred to as "Eisenhower jackets" rightly or wrongly.

3. razl

razl Senior member

Now that's a step in the right direction. Googling that definitely finds me some. It looks like the "official" Eisenhower jacket is (surprise!) modeled after his military jacket with the chest pockets, epaulets, etc. But, minus those, it's still (or was) an Eisenhower.

I'm still wondering if there's a more modern name/take on it though. And, I'll also note that I can't believe how hard it is to find examples of. To me it looks like a no-brainer "it should be everywhere" style, but alas it isn't (at least not nicer versions of it).

Also, coincidentally, it looks like Epaulet made some nicer versions for the winter (appropriately called Eisenhower jackets). If they had the same thing in a light, unlined cotton/linen mix, or a storm system loro wool, I'd be all over it:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013

4. razl

razl Senior member

[bump just to see if I get any more answers from the Sunday crowd]

5. Ianiceman

Ianiceman Senior member

It's just a windbreaker (windcheater in England).

Sometimes called a golf jacket I think, not sure if a golf jacket has specific detailing. I think my Dad had a golf jacket when I was a kid, the notable detail being there was a flapped pocket (for golf balls?) that was set round to the side - rear so it didn't get in the way of a golf swing.

6. Master Squirrel

Master Squirrel Senior member

Yes of course... Windbreaker.

7. irgendwas

irgendwas Well-Known Member

Except for the third one, those jackets look very appealing. I appreciate the minimalist look.
    I would especially like one for cycling, preferably made of gabardine (raincoat fabric).

Sadly, windbreakers that don't have unnecessary details and aren't made of shiny fabric are hard to find.

As I strongly dislike knit waistbands and cuffs on anything woven, such jackets would be an alternative to G9/Harrington-style jackets.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013