• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What kind of hairstyle do you have?

joshxfoo

Reaction score
My hair is about 1.5 inches long and combed forward, except for the bangs which I comb towards the left side of my face.

In that past, I've had: buzz-type (very short) haircuts, parted on the side, shoulder-length, and spiked hair. I have never been entirely happy with my hairstyle, and I am especially not so at the moment.

I want a hairstyle that is low-maintenance, not in my face, and oozes cool casual. I'm hoping that, by reading what you guys do with your hair, I might get some ideas.

Mike C.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I'm in the market for a new hairstyle the first thing I do is flip through the pages of GQ and look at the hairstyles the models are wearing. This should give you the best indicator of what is stylish. Make sure if you like the hairstyle, you have the same hair type as the model that has it; the next step would be to bring the picture to your barber/stylist to see if it would work on you.

I find that the most stylish cuts involve longer hair only. I haven't had my hair short for 3 years now and have grown a Samson phobia, that if I cut it short I'll be ugly. However this summer I'm almost positive that I'm gonna get it cut short. Maybe leave about 2 inches all around with the top a little longer for the bedhead look. I can no longer stand the extreme high-maintenance of my hair now.

Ignoramus

Reaction score
I keep the top about 1 1/2" with the sides at 3/8". I spread a small amount of pomade through the top then slick it back. I then mess it up while still trying to maintain a certain amount of symmetry. My hair naturally points forwards so that's why I slick it back first. I have brown anglo-saxon hair that is fairly difficult to manage but this style doesn't require me to control the hair so it works well.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My hair is straight and unruly, so there are very few hairstyles that work for me.  I like to keep the sides and back short, and the top and front slightly longer.  After washing and towel drying my hair, I use some pomade and hand style for a slightly messy look (think Edward Norton).  A good rule of thumb I heard is that if you spend more than 3 minutes styling your hair, you've got the wrong haircut.

NavyStyles

Reaction score
Josh,

I think the only haircut that is truly "low maintenance" would be a VERY short buzz or no hair at all.

Personally, I keep my hair like this. When just out of the shower, it hits about 1/4 inch above my eyebrows (sometimes a little higher). I squirt three pumps-worth of Aveda phomollient into the front and mess it around. I blow it dry (usually about thirty seconds). And when it gets the desired scruffy look, I dab a fingertip of Kiehl's gel in it. I leave the top, sides, and back dry and natural. At the current medium length, my hair is wavy and it flows nicely.

Mike,

For years (three to be exact) I had the same fear. I told myself. "My hair is me." I had long bangs and long everything else. When my hair gets longer than two inches it gets UBER-curly.. I would get out of the shower and dry it with a towel. I'd wrap some strands around my finger so they would curl more. At some points- just before a well-deserved haircut- it looked almost like a fro. I liked it and everyone else did. So I stuck with it. Last summer, I attended a Youth Leadership Conference and was convinced I needed "suit hair." So I cut it in the fashion described earlier. That was nearly a year ago, and I'm fine with the new 'do.

So there's my input. Good luck with any decisions on hair, everyone. It's hard to make drastic changes.

diandr4

Reaction score
agree...

you can have Beautiful Hairstyles if you can maintain ur hair just for 3 times a week, that's not hard and its fun....

or if you didn't know how to do it, you can come to some salon to help you out.

Nil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buzzed. I alternate between no attachment and the No. 1. So it's roughly an eighth of an inch right now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads