• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Kind of Bowtie Is This?

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
bulldogbowtie.jpg

This is one they have at J Crew but I have seen it on Polo too and the bowtie looks poofy and compact. I tried one of the bowties I have and I the thing is a little too traditional. I look kind of like an ice cream truck driver.

What is this style of bowtie called?

Skiffing

Reaction score
Maybe bowtielover could give you the key to your prickly problem.

Never mind that he's just going to post pointless drivel so I'll just answer the question: looks like a traditional thistle shape.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It does look like a traditional shape, to make it look like this, is it just the way it is being tied?

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, its a very small (and tight) knot. Its how I prefer to wear my bowties.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
practice practice then. Mine looked nothing near that.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It helps to have the (adjustable) neck width set to the smallest size. Some people even tie knots in the bowtie length to make it shorter before putting it on and tying the bow. Good luck.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Went home and tried this last night. I have a 15" neck and made the bowtie as small as it would go almost, ~32.5". Then I got the effect I was looking for after a few tries.

Hard2Fit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Small and tight, right? I feel that's how bow ties look best. . .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads