1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What kind do you like, the gin?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by Mr. Checks, Dec 21, 2006.

1. horton

horton Senior member

Boodles is my favorite. It was my favorite ten years ago before the premium gins and still is.

I haven't seen it in so long I wasn't sure if they were still making it. Any Boston SFers know of a source?

2. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

IIRC, Boodles is a club in London and the gin is their club gin. They have it at all of the liquor chains in California, so it can't be that hard to find. On the other hand, Massachusetts is pretty backwards when it come to liquor. Has that changed?

3. Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman Senior member

I don't think I've it, the Boodles, around these parts.

As I type these words, I'm drinking (gasp) Seagram's in a G&T.(fn. 1) Tastes like "gin." I do love a mid-week day off.

I've liked Tanq and Beefeater in the past, without really trying to choose between the two. I haven't tried the Bombay Sapphire, being somewhat turned off by the plants printed on the bottle... Could I assume that the Bombay has more overt plant notes than the Beefeater?

1. Okay, actually it's not a G & T, it's a little thing I thought up myself, goes something like this:

Twist a lime quarter over some rocks, add two ounces gin, one ounces dry vermouth, three ounces tonic. Kind of a martini with tonic and lime, or, if you prefer, a gin 'n tonic with vermouth. Probably someone else has come up with this, but if not, I call it, The Checks [​IMG]

Only a lawyer would write a footnote like that. [​IMG] (Assuming you're not David Foster Wallace.)

4. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt Senior member Dubiously Honored

I don't think I've it, the Boodles, around these parts.

As I type these words, I'm drinking (gasp) Seagram's in a G&T.(fn. 1) Tastes like "gin." I do love a mid-week day off.

I've liked Tanq and Beefeater in the past, without really trying to choose between the two. I haven't tried the Bombay Sapphire, being somewhat turned off by the plants printed on the bottle... Could I assume that the Bombay has more overt plant notes than the Beefeater?

1. Okay, actually it's not a G & T, it's a little thing I thought up myself, goes something like this:

Twist a lime quarter over some rocks, add two ounces gin, one ounces dry vermouth, three ounces tonic. Kind of a martini with tonic and lime, or, if you prefer, a gin 'n tonic with vermouth. Probably someone else has come up with this, but if not, I call it, The Checks [​IMG]

http://www.internetwines.com/mb120104.html

5. Mr. Checks

Mr. Checks Senior member

Only a lawyer would write a footnote like that. [​IMG] (Assuming you're not David Foster Wallace.)

Lawyer? Me?

Nah.

Update: bought the Beefeater. Made a clean, clean martini, but man these things are strong. Going to the Big City this weekend and might be able to find one of the more exotic ones.

6. horton

horton Senior member

IIRC, Boodles is a club in London and the gin is their club gin. They have it at all of the liquor chains in California, so it can't be that hard to find. On the other hand, Massachusetts is pretty backwards when it come to liquor. Has that changed?

You used to be able to get it at restaurants on Cape Cod, but even the better larger liquor stores don't carry it and most have never heard of it.

If it were more available I'd buy it exclusively, but since I don't drink much gin I haven't bothered to hunt for it.

7. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I believe there's a shop in NYC called Gin Lane, presumably named after the William Hogarth engraving. [​IMG]

8. Drinkwaters

Drinkwaters Senior member

I haven't seen it in so long I wasn't sure if they were still making it. Any Boston SFers know of a source?

Just Checked the Martignetti's web site and they have it. I'm sure other larger establishments in Boston also have a selection.

Best Regards,

Gay