• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What justifies a $200 flannel shirt

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see flannel shirts by the typical high-end Japanese denim makers going for around $200. I'm sure the fit is slimmer than the ones you can buy at the likes of JCrew/Gap/Old Navy for about $19.99 on sale.

I also know that value is all subjective, buy what other qualities allow these makers to charge such a high premium?

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See the discussion on Kenneth Cole shoes for $50...I've owned dozens of those sale shirts from jcrew and all I can tell you is that I don't buy them anymore. I pay a premium for the combo of material, construction and design. I'm happier with one good item rather than multiples of something that doesn't satisfy my soul.

onion

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The materials are far more expensive for starters. They also use more expensive buttons, more stitching at the seams (SC uses 3 rows for example), the dye can often be quite a bit more expensive (SC uses natural indigo in some shirts as an example), some shirts have reinforced parts, the design most likely took much longer to produce (adding to cost), and also brands like Old Navy and Gap have factories which are significantly cheaper, in China, where as Japanese companies make all their stuff in Japan where labor cost is much higher. Lastly, when you only make say 120 shirts in one style you have to have a higher mark up than if you produce 10,000 shirts. If brands like Sugarcane and the Flathead made as little per piece as Gap they would be out of business, plain and simple. Edit: And let me add, if you were to handle a Sugarcane shirt and a Gap shirt beside each other, you would notice huge differences in quality, even if you have no experience in judging it. The SC shirt I bought is probably the single most durable shirt I've ever handled anywhere, let alone owned myself.

gearhead

Reaction score
onion pretty much said it all in terms of production
add to that the brand recognition and also import fees coming from japan
the retailers that do stock the brand prolly mark it up quite a bit knowing that very few places carry them as well
but its really up to u. if u like it, can afford it and is willing to do so, by all means, buy a 200 dollar shirt.
some ppl value cars, others pay top dollars for headphones, some ppl don't buy anything
whatever floats ur boat man

sbbbjm

Reaction score
i have a polo flannel that i paid $80 for and a walmart flannel i paid $6 for - with my luck, i get more compliments on the walmart one. go figure.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sbbbjm
i have a polo flannel that i paid $80 for and a walmart flannel i paid $6 for - with my luck, i get more compliments on the walmart one. go figure.

That says more about your judgment than others' a lot of the time.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
edit

I think it is a matter of preference based on what you can afford.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
I think it is personal preference. It is like anything else.
I think I read it somewhere (probably here), but if you can afford steak and wine, why eat a hamburger and a coke?

I don't believe you subscribe to that philosophy.

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
edited

I could probably afford a FH, but I wouldn't feel right in one since it cost so much.

It was like when I had a newer car, all i could think about was the damn car... I never really enjoyed it because it felt 'too nice' for me. I was always worried something was going to happen to it. I was constantly paranoid the doors might get dings et cetera.

I don't know how to explain it any different than that.

shoreman1782

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
confused.gif

robertorex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
you either justify it or you don't. How do you justify your asking anonymous dudes on the internet about fashion?

Superb0bo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^I understand Robbies point. Its easier to feel "free & easy" if you dont have to be aware of how expensive something is compared to your income. Thats one reason why I buy and prefer the cheap orginal brands and thrift, compared to repros.

pcl

Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
edited

I could probably afford a FH, but I wouldn't feel right in one since it cost so much.

It was like when I had a newer car, all i could think about was the damn car... I never really enjoyed it because it felt 'too nice' for me. I was always worried something was going to happen to it. I was constantly paranoid the doors might get dings et cetera.

I don't know how to explain it any different than that.

Ah yea, know the feeling. At the end of the day, after the initial thrill is gone, it's just ... a car, a piece of clothing, whatever.

CoconutBanana

Reaction score
I get my flanel shirts from wal mart I just size them down a lot so they fit slim I don't really consider flanel a fashion statement so I'm not willing to pay more than 10 dollars for a flanel shirt.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads