• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what jeans to sell

berlin report

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We'll talk when you get here.
smile.gif

crush

Reaction score
IH would be great

but then again i would have to take a flight to berlin to buy a pair instantly
(plus the other nice stores you surely have up there)
bounce2.gif

zacharydschroeder

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
Crate jeans are generally very low quality. I'm not sure that's the type of product he wants.

How about APC?

What's low quality about Crates? The denim is deadstock vintage Levi's. Is the construction poor?

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Asch
Iron Heart is Kiya's best-seller at Self Edge, I believe (probably due partly to his being the only North American distributor). I like my IHs very much.

iron hearts never really did it for me. they seem so boring for some reason. I wouldn't go with sugarcane because of their "no sale" rule they've enforced in north america, and also ridiculous price tag outside japan.

don't know if you have it or not already, but APC maybe? it seems like such an obvious choice, but you know that they never go out of style. Or even PRPS, which has been my fav as of recent. You can cross over several demographics with them.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zacharydschroeder
What's low quality about Crates? The denim is deadstock vintage Levi's. Is the construction poor?
The denim is deadstock vintage levis only on the crate selvage that was limited to 75 pairs. The regular crates are crappy non-selvage denim and shoddily constructed. Do a search on here for crate and you'll see people with the belt loops coming off or the buttons popping off the first few times they wore the jeans. Unacceptable for $100 jeans IMO.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
The denim is deadstock vintage levis only on the crate selvage that was limited to 50 pairs. The regular crates are crappy non-selvage denim and shoddily constructed. Do a search on here for crate and you'll see people with the belt loops coming off or the buttons popping off the first few times they wore the jeans. Unacceptable for $100 jeans IMO.

no one complains about $200 skulls falling apart at the seams. I've personally always liked the idea behind crate. have yet to take the plunge, but using deadstock denim (levi's or not) is a great and unique idea. If they were a japanese brand, people would **** their pants about it.

whodini

Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!
Reaction score
I'm looking forward to how my selvage crates will wear but for a "limited edition" jean it seems kinda shoddy in terms of construction with loads of loose strands. Hell, maybe throw in some chain stitching if you're using deadstock cone. @ $100 it's ok as I really like the fit and the denim is unique.

Barney's has a bunch on sale right now but while I'm used to seeing Crates at the $130 or so level, they were originally at $65 retail according to the site. At that price they're really not all that bad.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Flat Head probably has the best overall combination of quality, universal appeal, and variety of cuts. But I'm sure you will have a hard time getting them.

Skulls is a good second.

Iron Heart makes one killer model and not much else. They are great but only the 634S sells.

Badseeds

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
denime... .... .... .... ...

brand new pairs are pretty amazing ...

chronoaug

Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)
Reaction score
I think flathead is a good choice. I like their clothes too. Even though they've been beasted pretty hard on sufu and a bit here, they're still really nice. The houndstooth and chambray shirts are really nice looking and i wish i had the money for em'. The western shirts also look great. I'm thinking of getting a pair of 3100(or whatever the new model is called) in fall as the measurements seem to match up with what i like.

poly800rock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by berlin report
Right, guys, its probably going to be Flathead if all things go smoothly. Poly, I love APC but they have their own shop here in my neighborhood. PRPS is also already taken for my area. Bonanz, thanks again for the tip.

i think the problem with picking just one japanese jean company is that you put all your eggs in one basket. I'm not sure of your ultimate goals, but i see stores around me that pick one japanese brand and it kind of just sits on the shelves. I'm sure berlin is hip enough, but it's the difference between introducing something new to a niche market to creating the market all together. Either way, i wish you all the best berlin!

Omegablogger

Reaction score
Just to add to the Giles/Ironheart love fest, great guy to deal with and great denim. I think it's the type of brand that a retail store could really benefit from.

soulstylist

Reaction score
...who are you catering for in Berlin?

The only guys (and galls) I see wearing wider, dark, raw denim around here are somehow linked to the rockabilly scene...

Ok, here is bavaria and not capital city - but also in Berlin those people are the ones to get the canes...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads