• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What jazz are you listening to?

smokeyjoe

Reaction score
Do you guys have any recommendations for literature on jazz? Some good resources, maybe? A good reviewer? A good magazine?

I’ve read Marshall Stearns’ History of Jazz.
Gioia’s The history of jazz.
Philip Larkin’s All what jazz

All three quite excellent!

Check out the autobiography Raise Up Off Me by Hampton Hawes . Local legend here in LA , Gioia (who is an awesome author) has written about him as well .

Dude does not get the credit he is deserved imo - played with & impressed all the greats of the time as an up and coming giant , but right after he won Downbeat’s Rising Star of the Year award he was targeted in this huge heroin bust (apparently the person who ratted him out was a well known player on the scene as well - don’t wanna drop any names since this is before my time & I wasn’t there , but you can seek it out) .

JFK ended up giving him a presidential pardon because of how talented he was - crazy stuff in there and definitely different from most historical/archival jazz literature .

Northants bloke

Reaction score

I love this Andy Sheppard track from the 90's. Gorgeous music especially Gary Valante's trombone solo.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Walking down the street and someone was practicing trumpet. Miles's "Four"...
Remind me of this version and video from Elizabeth Shepherd.
Sadly video was shot on a potato.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice version. This one's a neck breaking groove. Boom. Bap.

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@ATLjon Thanks for that link. Wasn't aware of Marion Brown. I've just finished listening to his LP "Vista" off spotty. Really good. I've enjoyed every track on it.

Rumpelstiltskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Duke Ellington • Charlie Mingus • Max Roach - Money Jungle.jpg

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ordered yesterday arrived today
982D844E-6E48-4CF9-8960-2A20155A4119.jpeg

The Coltrane is one half of a concert.

The Bill Evans is an unreleased 1975 gig at Oil Can Harry’s

Sound on both is excellent ?

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Also, has anyone read this?
aa3.jpg

Crazy 'used' prices, but have heard good things

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads