1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What I've Learned in Business So Far...

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by Artisan Fan, Mar 1, 2011.

1. Douglas

Douglas Senior member

- Leverage in-house knowledge networks to achieve cross-functional expertise.

- Database knowledge stores for post-project data mining activities.

- Employ informatics liberally to enhance metrical measurement and analyze measurement techniques.

- Synergize synergy for optimal synergisticity.

2. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

3. Artisan Fan

How to Argue with the Boss 1. Present a logical viewpoint. Why do you differ? Have you thought it through fully? Think about all the other stakeholders at the company that will be affected? Do they agree in finance, operations, account management, marketing, etc.? 2. Connect the dots to firm revenue, profits and clients satisfaction. If yuor argument helps the client in any way then in my experience it is well worth considering. 3. Keep it short and tell a story if possible. Managers love a good short story which might explain where your thinking is coming from, ie. "I saw that when we worked with Citi, the following things happened...{explain the key events}...therefore I believe this view incorporates the learnings from Citi better. Caveat: A good boss will enjoy a vigorous discussion. A bad boss will not. If the latter none of the above apply.

4. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

A random piece of advice that came from reading the boss post....

If the roof is on fire, just say something. But if there is an issue and you have a second to think about it, you should be presenting at least a few alternative solutions when you escalate the problem.

5. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

How does everyone close a presentation? What is the last sentence or two?

6. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

thank you

7. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Well... if I'm not getting the hook for going over time.... It's usually -
    Well - thank you again for your time. I know this was probably a lot to swallow all at once, so I'll make sure you all have my contact information and please don't hesitate to call me directly if you have any questions or if there is something you'd like to discuss in more detail.

8. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

Well... if I'm not getting the hook for going over time....

It's usually -

actually, that is almost exactly what I say

9. Artisan Fan

The "Call to Action". You ask the client to do something ranging from "buy my services" to "take this next step or two."

10. thinman

thinman Senior member

Great thread AF. Some travel tips: 1. I keep a duplicate set of toiletries in ziplock bags, ready to throw in my suitcase for a trip. 2. I keep a generic packing list in my empty suitcase, so packing is mindless and quick the night before a trip. Since I started doing this, I've never forgotten anything. 3. All I really need for a trip is my presentation, travel reservations, and a credit card. 4. Keeping point 3 in mind, I never put my presentation in checked luggage or luggage that could possibly be gate checked. 5. I always ask the hotel concierge "Where would a local eat breakfast/lunch/dinner in this area?" After the obligatory response telling me about the hotel restaurant and maybe a few places nearby, I say "No what I mean is, where would you eat in this area". It's not foolproof, but usually gets excellent results. 6. I keep my eyes open for restaurants with full parking lots or lines around the block of what look like the local residents.

11. Artisan Fan

^Great ideas Thinman. I like. [​IMG] I have a set of duplicate toiletries as well in those small bottle you can buy.

12. Artisan Fan

13. Eason

Eason Senior member

14. Rambo

Rambo Senior member

Bizzarro world suggestion: AF for B, C&E mod [​IMG]
    I'll +1 that.

15. Artisan Fan

I could do some moderating but my time is getting more limited as business picks up.

16. Artisan Fan

The Real Lesson of Charlie Sheen Charlie is a textbook example of burning bridges. From a purely business perspective it does not get any worse or more stupid than Sheen's actions. Takeaways for the upwardly mobile SF professional? 1. At some point in your career, no matter how stellar, you will get screwed by a manager or a company in general. It might be an unjustified firing or layoff, a reorganization that lacks any basis in reality (some say my CE posts qualify here), or other corporate world BS. Always have a Plan B and keep a financial reserve with 6 months of living expenses (can be hard to do when starting out). 2. Every network is small. By this I mean, you never, ever know who you will run into again. Most of the time the true assholes will flounder over time. But you still may face them on other opportunity. I am repeatedly surprised by how many new people know someone in my vast LinkedIn network. Six degrees of separation? At most, some days it feels like two. (I'm not bragging here, just old enough to have worked with lots of people). 3. Don't burn any bridges, regardless of how therapeutic it may be. You may see these folks again in your travels and they may be in a position to hurt your efforts. 4. It is also just not professional. Take the high road and you will feel better and be perceived better as well. 5. If you get laid off and need help, others will notice you took the high road and that will help. Now think about Charlie. He has likely poisoned the well across all of Hollywood. He made $1.85 million per episode. Dude, you are likely to lose nearly $16 million on those remaining 8 episodes. Moreover, you may find no one wants to work with you. How many people are in Chuck Lorre's rolodex or LinkedIn? How many people do Warner executives touch? Idiot.

17. yerfdog

yerfdog Senior member

Caveat: A good boss will enjoy a vigorous discussion. A bad boss will not. If the latter none of the above apply.
    haha, I learned this, to my detriment, last week. well, I guess I mean I learned what kind of boss I have...

18. DorothyHick

DorothyHick Member

Thanks for a great links [​IMG]

19. Artisan Fan

20. Concordia

Concordia Senior member Dubiously Honored