• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What I've Learned in Business So Far...

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Gettoasty, ask yourself what "business professional" means...

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for all the ideas, finally changed it to some derivative of the same although I may just edit one more time.

"Business Analyst | Highly motivated | Resourceful | Reliable"

This just reads better to me for some reason and gets to the point.

ChicagoRon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for all the ideas, finally changed it to some derivative of the same although I may just edit one more time.

"Business Analyst | Highly motivated | Resourceful | Reliable"

This just reads better to me for some reason and gets to the point.

Are you on the menu at Eleven Madison Park?

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
:embar: :butbut:

I will give it a chance, it is what I am happy with and it seems like a "modern take"

I will change it back to:

"Highly motivated, insightful business analyst to assist in finance-related planning and special projects."

But I just feel this is too gimmicky and screams desperation, am I wrong?

Last edited:

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

:embar: :butbut:

I will give it a chance, it is what I am happy with and it seems like a "modern take"

I will change it back to:

"Highly motivated, insightful business analyst to assist in finance-related planning and special projects."

But I just feel this is too gimmicky and screams desperation, am I wrong?

May just be me, but I think you're overthinking this. For a recent grad, your linkedin profile/header really does not make the difference.

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My thoughts as well. I think the people mentioning "business analyst" were having a laugh. It comes off as quite presumptious. How can you be a business analyst when you are unemployed? Keep it direct. "Finance Major Seeking Career in Structured Finance"

Last edited:

ruzzi

Reaction score
what happened to this thread... started off awesome

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For those who have been working for a long time, when is it appropriate to just 'drop off your resume' to another prospective employer / connection?

Been emailing back and forth with an internal at another company. I have no intentions of moving but you never know what will happen right?

I just thanked them for taking the time to answer some of my questions and want to send them my resume just so they have it on file / future reference.

Will this cause any problems for me?

FWIW whenever I get these notices of possible opportunities I always take the time to brush up the resume again. I would at least like for them to see my "work".

Last edited:

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
HAve your discussions veered to you potentially transitioning to the company? If so, you can send your resume and ask to be considered if something they think you fit for comes up. If not, don't. Just try to stay in periodic touch with the person.

gettoasty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
We are still figuring out where I could possibly fit in the company.

E-mail sent without resume. Thanks,

nootje

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

HAve your discussions veered to you potentially transitioning to the company? If so, you can send your resume and ask to be considered if something they think you fit for comes up. If not, don't. Just try to stay in periodic touch with the person.

Isnt this what linkedin is for? So you can skip the dropping off of your resume, and casually talk about it without too much risk?

mikelon

Reaction score
For those who have been working for a long time, when is it appropriate to just 'drop off your resume' to another prospective employer / connection?
Been emailing back and forth with an internal at another company. I have no intentions of moving but you never know what will happen right?
I just thanked them for taking the time to answer some of my questions and want to send them my resume just so they have it on file / future reference.
Will this cause any problems for me?
FWIW whenever I get these notices of possible opportunities I always take the time to brush up the resume again. I would at least like for them to see my "work".
I would never 'offically' give my resume out unless I wanted to jumpship. I receive calls from recruiters a few times a year and I am extremly blunt. You would need to find me something that pays X, in X industry, giving X amount of vacation, allowing me to work from home, yada yada. Thats typically where the conversation ends :)

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Well I thought I thought I might press my luck and share some accumulated wisdom with some friends here since some seemed to like the consulting discussion. Each day or so I will try to share some wisdom from my nearly 30 years working with businesses as a banker, CRO, risk consultant, and marketing consultant. My hope is that this information might prove valuable to those of you working with Fortune 2000 companies. Remember that this advice is free and that sometimes you get what you pay for.
laugh.gif
Alrighty then. Let's get started. Some great books in business: Blue Ocean Strategy - Great way of thinking about business growth. Made To Stick - Best book on business communication ever. The McKinsey Way - An introduction to effective consulting.
Great. Subscribing

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads