What I've learned from Styleforum (or, a guide to not wasting money / avoid buyers remorse)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by The_Foxx, Apr 20, 2014.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I'm going to agree with this. The OP and thread fits the first part of the thread title well ("WHAT I'VE LEARNED FROM STYLEFORUM") but IMO this collection of personal preferences (some I would agree with) is completely at odds with the second part of the title ("A GUIDE TO NOT WASTING MONEY / AVOID BUYERS REMORSE").

I mean... silk ties are dead, stop buying them? really?

2. cbbuff

cbbuff Senior member

My thoughts exactly.

Amazing handwork and buttonholes ultimately mean a lot. But only when the fabric, cut and fit are well done. After the foundation is there, the quality of the details becomes the point of emphasis. This does not diminish the importance of the basics, but that gets lost on many.

3. dapperdoctor

dapperdoctor Senior member

I've learned many things, including:
    Don't be in a rush to build a wardrobe. It's a journey, not a race.
    It's better to have 2-3 perfectly fitting suits than 10 that you're not completely satisfied with.
    Learn to shine your shoes nicely. There is no need to own 20+ pairs of shoes (I have failed at this and spend too much extra money money).
    The fit of a shirt is much more important than the name on the tag.
    Things like pant rise, front style, length, and taper, are extremely important. Know what works for you.
    If you spend a lot of time in casual wear, spend time and money on your casual wardrobe. I wear my Samurai jeans way more than my suits.
    Use sneakers for sports, wear proper footwear like shoes or boots at other times.
    Ties, watches, belts, and shoes can make or break your look. Choose wisely.
    Try stuff on. If it does not fit perfectly or it can't be made perfect, don't buy it. Something else will come along that is better.
    Get yourself in as good of physical shape as possible and try to maintain it. No piece of clothing can make up for you being overweight, having poor hygiene, etc.

4. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

and if you
    believe it
    you have lost
    the
    game

5. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

Ah...well again, I've learned to put far less emphasis on handwork, just posted that in another thread about sartorio, T4. If u have more accurate info to post in that thread about sartorio, hope you'll do so.

My hope in creating this thread was that others would read, take with a grain of salt, definitely my own preferences-- and also contribute from their own (sometimes costly)!misfires. Hopefully, this might save others some money and at least lessen number of things purchased that don't fit or look very good.

I for one wish I had purchased FAR far less silk/ satin neckties. Some are too wide,too shiny, don't go with a variety of shirts and jackets. The textured ties from NMWA and other sources, on the other hand, go with damned near everything in my wardrobe.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014

6. unbelragazzo

unbelragazzo Jewfro Dubiously Honored

7. unbelragazzo

Re:ties, I agree that avoiding the shiny ones is a good idea. But there are lots of non-shiny silks.

8. gdl203

If by "all silk" you initially meant satin or shiny silk ties, I understand your point well. But there's a great range of more matte and attractive silk ties out there, from great prints and madders to panama silk, tussah, shantung, etc...

9. unbelragazzo

On the other side of the tie conversation, I think that using suiting or jacketing fabrics to make ties is a #menswear-driven fad that was always kind of kitschy and will look dated before long.

10. gdl203

Having a suit made by hand is a different thing than "handwork" in the sense of pretty buttonholes or decorative pick-stitching. Beyond any discussion of the intrinsic value of making a suit by hand (I know there are diverging opinions on this forum), if this thread is about not wasting money, then I think it is somewhat relevant to understand what one is paying for. What justifies a $4k tag for a suit? If one is looking at it from a retail/cost ratio (am I paying for highly skilled labor and fine materials or am I paying for marketing and markups), then one should learn to differentiate a handmade suit from a machine-made suit - not because one should be bought and the other one not, but at least because it helps understand what one is paying for.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014

11. socrates

socrates Well-Known Member

+1

12. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

Que the fuck? Credibility anihilated.

That some ties are nice/interesting doesn't mean that others aren't. Silk ties aren't and never will be "dead."

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Not sure if I learned this here, but something that @Manton and I have debated from day 1: Know history, but don't feel bound by it.

And of course, have fun. Don't worry too much about making mistakes. It's going to happen anyway. This will free you up to really go for it. This way, when you get it right, you'll really get it really right. Two of my favorite dressers, @Parker and @gdl203 developed their very high taste levels by being omnivorous.

14. archetypal_yuppie

archetypal_yuppie Senior member

This school of thought is for the cloth hobbyists/fetishists.

Any recession that has an "other end" where people still wear suits is not going to thoroughly destroy the clothing industry. Companies may go bankrupt but the means of production will not be destroyed. High quality cloth will still be made. You don't need to buy it now.

If you're referring to the pursuit of old fabrics (that are no longer made), that is deep into hobby/fetish territory and not something anyone who wants to look good needs to concern themselves with at all. 99% of the value with these is in the eye of the beholder.

15. coldsalmon

coldsalmon Senior member

+1
    I have wasted a lot of money on both shiny silk ties, and blends. The blends look great, and it's much easier to get good-looking blends for cheap, but they do not work with CBD/city suits. Cheap, shiny silk ties look terrible, and this makes it difficult to buy 100% silk ties online, because a tie will often look matte in online photos, but be flimsy and shiny when it arrives in the mail. I am currently going out of my mind trying to find affordable, non-shiny silk ties. Since silk ties start at $10, I figured there must be some cheap, quality silk ties out there somewhere, but I am starting to doubt that. I should do a buyer's remorse review of all of my shitty ties.