What item did you buy that started off your clothing obsession?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Shoe fetishisisisist, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Shoe fetishisisisist

Shoe fetishisisisist Well-Known Member

For me it was a pair of Barker Dartford in black calf and bugundy hi-shine, these would probably be sneered at by SF but at the time £140 for a pair of shoes!!! I felt like god in them I did a google search maybe a few days later on something related and found this place, well as you can imagine it all went downhill from there [​IMG] What item got you into the whole sartorial scene and what are your opinions on it/them now? do you still love it or since being on SF do you regard it as overpriced tat. I still have my barkers and have just dropped them off to have a new heel units, i still love them but SF did take some of the sparkle away [​IMG] Your thoughts gentlemen [​IMG] Chris.

2. juvefan

juvefan Senior member

same story, my item was a dark blue gray-tipped cardigan. i gooogled "what to wear with cardigan"

3. Galix

Galix Senior member

I bought a polo shirt made by Loewe. It was certainly overpriced compared to other options I have discovered around here. But the quality was outstanding and the fit incredible. With that polo I learnt what Egyptian Cotton was all about and that these details like fabric or cut make the difference.

4. mlongano

mlongano Senior member

I've been wearing suits since grade school, but I guess it was when I started purchasing my own clothes at the age of 14 when I was a freshman in high school.

I worked part time for a men's shop and bought all of my clothes for school with my own money, including a three piece herringbone suit. From that time on I purchased all of my own clothes and have enjoyed fine clothing.

5. kev777

kev777 Senior member

Church's Grafton Burgundy, now i just cant stop buying shoes [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Shoe fetishisisisist

Shoe fetishisisisist Well-Known Member

Church's Grafton Burgundy, now i just cant stop buying shoes [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'd say that shoes are easily the most addictive item, especially if you have an eye for detail.

7. dragon8

dragon8 Senior member

I bought a suit that I needed and it was a Canali that I got from Bernini.

8. Achilles_

Achilles_ Senior member

I'd say that shoes are easily the most addictive item, especially if you have an eye for detail.
    x2 I just bought some shell cordovan shoes in 12A. They are too tight for me, but I was seriously considering cutting off my small toe to make them fit.

9. mm84321

mm84321 Senior member

A Tom Ford shawl cardigan. Ruined me forever.

10. IsteRed

IsteRed Senior member

My first pocket square brought me to SF,i've bought a tie/ps set and googled how/when to wear ps,that brought me to SF...

11. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

Cucinelli linen/cotton button down. Found it in a crazy sale at Neiman Marcus (I think I ended up snagging it for like $50). Had never heard of the brand but was quite intrigued and impressed.

Once I began to look into it I was a dead man walking. My bank account has never recovered.

12. raiderbuck

raiderbuck Senior member

I didn't really "buy" this...but my father gave me an old pair of AE PA's. To me they were just boring captoes, but he told me that they were about twenty year's old. They were in good condition, however the soles needed repair. I know AEs aren't the most impressive, but as a kid it was pretty amazing seeing a pair of dress shoes that were older than me look BETTER than my own dress shoes.

That started a converstion about buying quality items, and taking care of your clothes. That's what started it for me.

13. Jaxson612

Jaxson612 Well-Known Member

A Hugo Boss made in the USA suit. Didn't know any better at the time, but my taste (and wardrobe) have improved significantly since.

14. Beatlegeuse

Beatlegeuse Senior member

I googled "made to measure shirts" on stumbled upon some threads on SF. Got a couple MTM shirts to start off with and it's been a spending spree since then.

15. MBreinin

MBreinin Senior member

I was a child model when I was two. I would say it started then, and never really stopped.