1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What is your take on money clips?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by mb1233, Jul 18, 2015.

1. mb1233

mb1233 Member

Convenient and stylish way to carry cash or dinosaurs now due to the widespread use of debit cards?

2. papa kot

papa kot Senior member

There is nothing wrong with money clips. Cash rules ;-)

3. GBR

GBR Senior member

Out of date idea and little use because of credit/debit cards. Now use and recommend a slim leather wallet such as those by Launer which holds paper money and cards and slips into a back pocket. It is quite comfortable and unobtrusive and means that you don't have to worry/remember to pick it up when taking coat off.

2 people like this.
  4. Dandy Wonka

Dandy Wonka Senior member

When I use the clip I put the card/s inside the money. Much thinner option than a wallet if you don't want to carry a wallet.

2 people like this.
  5. sclemmons

sclemmons Member

I still carry cash I have used sterling for years. Now I love titanium. They hold tighter and you can carry them through airport security without pulling them out of your pocket.

6. Johnsson

Johnsson Senior member

I switched to a slim card holder-style wallet after many years with a money clip. It's only negligibly thinner, but doesn't have the hazard of occasionally springing open in my pocket.

7. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

I've more or less quit carrying cash except for a $20 in my card wallet. I have no use for coins. Cash is an anachronism.

8. johng70

johng70 Senior member

The important thing for me is the ability to carry in my front pocket. Nothing looks worse than the indelible outline of your wallet on a quality pair of pants. While I use a credit card most of the time, I still keep about $50 in cash because you never know. Now, a friend uses a money clip with his license, cards and money in it. When he pulls it out, it looks trashy to see all that. I used to carry a slim front-pocket wallet but it was a bit of a pain. The best solution to date combining the benefits of the clip for getting cash quickly and keeping cards in a clean profile and good look I've found is the Mitchell Money Clip:
    http://shop.mitchell-leather.com/Money-Clip-Wallet-Premium-Horween-Chromexel-MCWHC.htm

I can carry 6 cards plus easy access to cash and it's a slim profile that fits in my front pocket. Give it a look

9. middlepP

middlepP Senior member

I stopped carrying my checkbook wallet about 15 years ago, when I was given a metal money clip as a present. Used the same one ever since. Fits up to 6 cards, but also holds only 1 card without it slipping it out. Clip on the reverse side for money. Not the most sylish (especially compared to @johng70 's link above), but I can't imagine using anything else at this point. If I had a dollar for every time someone inquired about it... I'd have one stuffed clip.

Tried to find it online, but didn't have any luck. Very similar to this product that is out of stock at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Steinhausen-Original-Money-Clip/dp/B007D7G1YM/ref=pd_sxp_redirect

10. gs77

gs77 Senior member

I've found this one below from a local leather craftsman from my home country. I've got tired of bulky wallets, so needed something really slim and nice that fits both paper money and various cards. This is kind of a wallet with a money clip inside. I can carry it in inner chest pocket when wearing a suit/jacket, or in back pocket of my jeans. The only thing is, it has no space for coins, but....
    The color was just my preference :)

And, by the way, made from good leather, and other stuff from this guy (bags, belts...) last forever.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. pravda

pravda Senior member

M-Clip all the way.

12. GBR

GBR Senior member

Awful

13. gs77

gs77 Senior member

Care to explain?

14. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior member

I recently switched to a Ettinger Slim Leather Wallet (bought from No Man Walks Alone) from a card holder, and I am quite happy with its slim profile & the utility of the wallet. I had a card holder, which is obviously slimmer, but I never carried cash with it. This allows me to carry cash now. Also, Its much nicer than some of those designer wallets which aren't slim, and ended up being very bulky.