• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is YOUR shoe shine kit like?

John B

Reaction score
So far, I just have a paper bag to hold my shoe kit. I want to make one that's top notch, but want to see what everyone else has to see where to go with it.

My kit:
Brushes
One for black
One for brown
One for tan/neutral

Cream
1 Jar of Saphir Renovateur
1 Jar Saphir Tobacco Cream (#34)
1-1/2 Jars of Saphir Neutral Cream

Wax
Kiwi Black
Kiwi Brown
Kiwi Cordovan
Kiwi Tan
Kiwi Neutral
Kiwi "Custom" (where I mixed Cordovan, Brown, and Tan together to get a warm lightish-brown)

Other
Suede cleaner
Small paper bag of colored shoe laces (Red, Yellow, Blue, Pink, Burgundy, etc.)
Lots of cut up tees and a few shoe shine rags
Elbow grease (it takes a lot of this to care for shoes)

I know there are some really obsessive people out there, and some really organized ones, and I want to see what their shoe kits are like. I'd love to see some pictures too!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I bought this box thanks to a suggestion from @nutcracker. It's from Gerstner & Sons, and I really like it. They hold factory seconds sales twice a year, which makes their cases and boxes a bit cheaper.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful...is that the GI 515 utility carrying case or 12 repair kit in walnut?

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll get back to you once my valet returns from vacation.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Beautiful...is that the GI 515 utility carrying case or 12 repair kit in walnut?

It's the 12 repair kit. Don't remember the color I asked for, but FWIW, what I got was different from what I saw on my screen. Don't know if they just don't have very accurate photos on their site, or if I was shipped the wrong box. Either way, I was happy with what I got.

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks dieworkwear and nutcracker. Purchased that 12 repair kit in walnut

Currently storing all my stuff in a file cabinet upper drawer.

A proper box like this is essential if you want to shine your shoes outdoors. I personally can't stand the fumes for long, especially if I'm using Renomat or something. Truly noxious chemicals.

Had one incident where my throat and eyes felt seared after doing 2 pairs of shoes indoors.

Last edited:

Montecristo905

Reaction score

I bought this box thanks to a suggestion from @nutcracker. It's from Gerstner & Sons, and I really like it. They hold factory seconds sales twice a year, which makes their cases and boxes a bit cheaper.

Awesome !

Exactly what I have been looking for.

Cuttingboard

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's the 12 repair kit. Don't remember the color I asked for, but FWIW, what I got was different from what I saw on my screen. Don't know if they just don't have very accurate photos on their site, or if I was shipped the wrong box. Either way, I was happy with what I got.

Thank you!

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The GI series is made in China, constructed from plywood, and is colored using a veneer. The mainline is made in Dayton, Ohio, made from white oak (although some use other woods), and is hand stained.

"GI" stands for Gerstner International. Mainline is just Gerstner & Sons.

Last edited:

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Amazon says to avoid the GI series. Very cheap metal hardware

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Makes sense.  Thank you.  

They have some GI cases for about $80, which you can sometimes find cheaper elsewhere if you search around. Personally, I think they'd probably do fine for a shoe shine kit. People buying Gerstner & Sons cases are usually machinists who are looking for something really rugged and tough for their work. For shining shoes, a full Gerstner & Sons kit could be overkill.

If you don't mind paying the price, I think their 12 Repair Kit is quite nice. It is super heavy though. I haven't tried their GI line, but I think it'd be fine if you're looking for something to just hold shoe polishes. I doubt it would fall apart on you for such a simple use.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads