• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what is your religion?

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
WOW! This poll explains a lot to me!

Would be an interesting analysis as to why (coincidence?) this forum's population is so drastically different than the general population.
The Tide is Turning

Roger Waters

Buddhist Pagan

Jill

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
The general population of which country?
Um, certainly the US. But I was referring to the world.

worldrel.gif

Why do you ask? Do you think there is any country in the world that is 50% Athiest?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jill
Um, certainly the US. But I was referring to the world.

worldrel.gif

Why do you ask? Do you think there is any country in the world that is 50% Athiest?

yeah ive seen those kind of stats before, and im pretty sure they would consider me a Christian - and probably most of the people on this board who have identified themselves as athiests and other...fair chance we have been baptised n all that...but lump ourselves in the 'not really' group.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just to clarify, when i asked the original question, i was asking what your actual beliefs are, not what relgion you were born into or raised in. i had thought it would go without saying, but maybe not.

Oddly Familiar

Reaction score
Put atheist in poll, but more agnostic than anything else. Christian schools shattered my beleif in anything.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
Um, certainly the US. But I was referring to the world. Why do you ask? Do you think there is any country in the world that is 50% Athiest?
The most ironic example I can think of is Denmark which has no separation of church and state.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
i am a practicing catholic, educated by jesuits, in a catholic country. thing is, i've been very, very dismayed with so-called church leaders of this country (thankfully none of them jesuits) who have chosen to become more active in the political and business arena than in the pulpit. they justify themselves by saying that they represent the people. what gives? sometimes i go to sunday mass and the priest gets all fire and brimstone on political issues. it truly does leave a bad taste in the mouth. i know this kind of thing has been happening to a lot of countries for decades, most specially in latin america. though i do not question my faith and belief, i am seriously questioning that of all the leaders of the roman catholic church- all the way to the pope, for letting this go on.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I read the poll we had 31% atheists on the board. That's more or less in line with the world figure, I presume, since most methodology I have seen tends to grossly inflate religious denominations numbers (expecially in the developed world, which means it probably inflates Christians the most). If you consider more religious countries, as the US, then the board does seeem more out-of-tune.

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think there is a higher degree of atheism with wealthier and more intelligent people, the kind you will find on this forum. Take this for what it's worth. Perhaps wealth and supposed intelligence have misled us to believe only in ourselves.

chrysalid

Reaction score
Originally Posted by dah328
That is most certainly true. In exactly the same way, atheism also requires faith such that even in the face of some amazing event that served to prove beyond any sort of doubt the existence of a deity, the majority would continue to be unconvinced.

i'm an atheist. i think you are wrong. unless by 'amazing event' you mean christ's face appearing on burnt toast, a miracle like that may really make me question my lack of belief.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by chrysalid
a miracle like that may really make me question my lack of belief.
I agree. I have always been impressed by the cheap nature of the so-called "miracles" and "signs". Supposedly that's to leave people free to decide by themselves if they want to believe or not, but then why have miracles at all?

I am a simple man. If only god would give a clear sign he exist, I would be convinced. I don't know, take the Saint-Peter cathedral in Rome, move it to the top of mount Everest and write a message in huge letters of fire in the sky in all human languages. Until then...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads