what is your religion?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by matadorpoeta, Jun 28, 2006.

1. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

This thread is a perfect illustration of Jon Stewart's description of atheism as "the religion dedicated to the worship of one's own smug sense of superiority."

Of course this comes from a Jew who changed his last name to fit with born-again America...[​IMG]

Jon.

2. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

3. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

Of course this comes from a Jew who changed his last name to fit with born-again America...[​IMG]

Jon.

Oh, I suppose he's not a 'real Jew' then. [​IMG]

4. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Oh, I suppose he's not a 'real Jew' then. [​IMG]

He is. Actually, I only think that the orthodox who don't recognize Israel (and don't serve in the army), yet live under her protection (fucking hypocrites) are not real Jews.

Jon.

5. dah328

dah328 Senior member

6. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

He is. Actually, I only think that the orthodox who don't recognize Israel (and don't serve in the army), yet live under her protection (fucking hypocrites) are not real Jews.

Jon.

Being jewish is mostly a cultural thing so I don't think your assessment of the worth of a community is meant to be used to decide who'se jewish and who isn't.

7. Quirk

Quirk Senior member

8. Fuuma

Fuuma Franchouillard Modasse

Even if one were to take those arguments at face value, they're based on the specious proposition that being intelligent is more important than being "religious."
    One is quality the other is a belief, I don't see why you need to put the two in the same basket (btw I have no idea if the stats on these pages are valid and certainly wouldn't say that scientists are more intelligent than the average citizen). However I do consider that the mark of a well educated individual is to be able to examine common wisdom criticaly and sometimes go against it. It's not that there are less people in the general population who could possibly be atheists, it's that they never took the time to seriously consider the question of religion and find out it isn't part of their conception of the world.

9. Reggs

Reggs Senior member

Even if one were to take those arguments at face value, they're based on the specious proposition that being intelligent is more important than being "religious."

I just want to point out that I posted them for the statistics, not the site admins analysis. I think it was just what Jill was looking for.

10. dah328

dah328 Senior member

It's not that there are less people in the general population who could possibly be atheists, it's that they never took the time to seriously consider the question of religion and find out it isn't part of their conception of the world.
    Are you saying that anyone who seriously considers the question of religion must necessarily determine that it is incompatible with his conception of the world? If so, that's a tad presumptuous. I suppose, though, that there's nothing particularly compelling about a belief system that harmonizes with an arbitrary individual's conception of the world.

11. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Being jewish is mostly a cultural thing so I don't think your assessment of the worth of a community is meant to be used to decide who'se jewish and who isn't.

Well, I said it was my personal opinion, since they act anything but Jewish (which are suppose to be giving, open and understanding of others).

Jon.

12. Saucemaster

Saucemaster Sized Down 2

It's not that there are less people in the general population who could possibly be atheists, it's that they never took the time to seriously consider the question of religion and find out it isn't part of their conception of the world.
    To expand on this, as someone raised in an exceedingly Christian (evangelical) home, by my own definition and that I was raised with, far fewer Americans than currently do so can really call themselves "Christian" in any truly meaningful sense. They will tell you that they are because they have some sort of connection to the belief system, feel it's part of their heritage, celebrate a few holidays, and go to church once in a while, but they know almost nothing about what they claim to believe, and rarely think seriously about it. Had they been raised Buddhist, they'd be Buddhists; had they been raised atheists, they'd be atheist, etc. And, since we live in a nation where Christianity is basically the default, there are going to be a lot more Christians who live like this than there are going to be atheists. Most people are forced to do a lot of thinking and self-questioning before they become atheists. Similarly, a lot of truly devoted Christians are forced to do the same, but there's no easy way to separate them out from the masses of people who are just sort of Christians by default, since they're both just referred to as "Christians".

13. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

I'm Christian and belong to The Church of Jesus Christ the Kidnapped.

14. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

No entry for The Church of the Fonz? [​IMG]

15. dusty

dusty Senior member

To expand on this, as someone raised in an exceedingly Christian (evangelical) home, by my own definition and that I was raised with, far fewer Americans than currently do so can really call themselves "Christian" in any truly meaningful sense. They will tell you that they are because they have some sort of connection to the belief system, feel it's part of their heritage, celebrate a few holidays, and go to church once in a while, but they know almost nothing about what they claim to believe, and rarely think seriously about it. Had they been raised Buddhist, they'd be Buddhists; had they been raised atheists, they'd be atheist, etc.

And, since we live in a nation where Christianity is basically the default, there are going to be a lot more Christians who live like this than there are going to be atheists. Most people are forced to do a lot of thinking and self-questioning before they become atheists. Similarly, a lot of truly devoted Christians are forced to do the same, but there's no easy way to separate them out from the masses of people who are just sort of Christians by default, since they're both just referred to as "Christians".

Very true, and the distinction should be made.