1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

What is your opinion of Zanella trousers?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Artisan Fan, Jul 18, 2006.

1. Jill

Jill Senior member

I've seen some really pretty Zanellas. Nice fabrics. And from what I'm told, the generic American male likes the cut/fit.

But after having spent a lot of time in consignment shops and thrift stores in the early years of our ebay business, I'm not impressed with the quality of construction. AT LEAST half of them are discarded because of ripped pockets. By contrast, I have NEVER seen a pair of Oxxford, Zegna, Incotex with ripped pockets. For that matter, I've seen this issue more on Zanella than ANY other brand, including Lands End, Greg Peters, and other lower end brands. Seriously.

BUT, they are pretty. Just don't stick your hands or wallets in your pockets. You'll love them.

2. Huntsman

Huntsman Senior member

I often wonder why manufacturers bother to make such odd choices in colors or styling. It's clear they will not sell like more traditional colors so why don't they just make very limited quantities (or none at all) given they will end up in the bargain bin or eBay anyway.

Same questions here -- many high end manufacturers (notably and extremely Kiton) make some awfully crazy ugly stuff. What are they thinking?

~ Huntsman

3. thinman

thinman Senior member

Yes, I too think SGladwell's analogy is accurate. In my experience in owning better-quality trousers, I'd place Zanella in the middle range. They aren't as nice as Incotex, Zegna, Canali, or RL Purple Label (made by Saint Andrews, and very nice), and definitely not in the same class as Kiton, Brioni, Oxxford, or Borrelli. However, they outclass Boss, RL Polo, Brooks Bros., Hickey-Freman, and many smaller Italian labels like Zanieri and Altieri. I think that they're pretty good value for money if purchased at less than retail (expect to pay somewhere between $70 and $130 on eBay), but lack the hand work noted in earlier posts, and my one pair (Bennetts) are made of pretty undistinguished wool. If you're considering Zanella, you need to think about flat vs. pleated front, and, particularly, the fullness of the cut. The various models have proper names like Bennett, Bennie, Jessie, and so on and really differ in cut, number of pleats, etc. Some are very full-cut, others, like the Bennett, are slimmer. Here's a link to a Zanella seller, and you can get a sense of the variety there:

http://www.mistershop.com/zaitsl.html

Exactly where I'd place Zanella in the hierarchy of pants that I own or have seen, but I haven't owned the Zanellas long enough to notice issues with the pockets. If they have problems with wear, I'll find out though, since I carry keys in my pockets.

I have 2 pairs of Zanellas, both the Bennie model, IIRC, flat front and moderately slim. I like the cut and the drape, although as SGladwell noted, they lack the niceties of Brioni or Zegna trousers. One pair of my Zanellas is standard navy gabardine; the second pair is a very nice mid-gray gab with a small woven check pattern. I'd pay up to $150.

4. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Senior member

I found some beautiful grey ones that cost me $132, about half price and they were brand new.

I think though that I will try some Zegnas next at $300 or if I can get an ebay deal. My favorites are Kiton and Incotex but Kiton is super-expensive and Incotex is now $500+. Not sure if the $200 gap above Zegna is a good value anymore. Probably will buy 2-3 at the Louis sale if the prices are good (they usually are).

My new work outfit is dress slacks, nice Kiton shirt, Zegna or Kiton sportcoat, no tie. I just don't have many suit events anymore and my clients (who are generally SVPs at banks) really don't wear ties anymore with the exception of the New York investment banks.

NYC business trips are a double win for me: dressing up in suits and visiting fine stores like Bergdorf, Kiton, Zegna, Oxxford, Bizzocchi, Lobb, Berluti, etc.

5. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Another good trouser maker is Valentini.

6. Swededude

Swededude Senior member

Yesterday I came across two pairs of Zanella slacks on ebay which I bought. Both are slightly used and not NWT, hence the nice pricelevel. However, I have never seen pants from that brand IRL (not available here), so I'm just wondering if they are real or counterfeit, just to be shure:

*question answered, pictures removed*

Thx in advance!

7. Stax

Stax Senior member

Yesterday I came across two pairs of Zanella slacks on ebay which I bought. Both are slightly used and not NWT, hence the nice pricelevel. However, I have never seen pants from that brand IRL (not available here), so I'm just wondering if they are real or counterfeit, just to be shure:

1: http://www.auctiva.com/hostedimages/...0,0,0&format=0

2: http://host399.ipowerweb.com/~ellaho...071006_(1).jpg

http://host399.ipowerweb.com/~ellaho...ella071006.jpg

Thx in advance!

they look legit to me.

8. marc237

marc237 Senior member

Agreed. The waist band is trademaek Zanella. Also,, it is just not a brand that has enough cachet to make it worth counterfeiting and then selling as used.