• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your opinion of shirt darts?

Threadbearer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reevolving
A dart also makes the shirt look custom, which stands out, which the entire f*cking point of all this, isn't it?
Quite the contrary. Custom shirts are tapered in the making, whereas darts are a clear indication that your shirt was not custom made and had to be adjusted to fit you. (Or I suppose it could be an indication that you've really been hitting the gym since you ordered it.)

Originally Posted by txeconomist
I think darts make the shirt look like a women's shirt.
Only when placed on the front.
teacha.gif

Originally Posted by Lightbringer
Darts are great.
I wouldn't go that far. Before I made the jump into MTM, I had nearly all my RTW shirts darted by an alterations tailor. He did excellent work, taking in as much as he could at the side seams and then doing the rest with darts. Even so, those shirts had a tendency to pull apart at the front when I sat down, leaving gaps between the buttons through which my t-shirt was sometimes visible. I never have this problem with MTM shirts, so I submit that darts, while not great, are a reasonable half-measure for men with large drops who do not wish to order MTM shirts.

rathebaindc

Reaction score
I just measured myself. I have an 11" drop. I own one shirt with darts and it fits better than the other 40 or so slim fit, sized down, or "sides taken in" shirts I own. I think the reason that back darts work for me is that my torso has a V taper when viewed from the front, and also when viewed from the side- kind of like an upside down pyramid.

Soli

Reaction score
I don't mind darts if they are discreet, but I can't say that I prefer them either. I prefer that the fit is properly in the first place.

Nicola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Threadbearer
Quite the contrary. Custom shirts are tapered in the making, whereas darts are a clear indication that your shirt was not custom made and had to be adjusted to fit you. (Or I suppose it could be an indication that you've really been hitting the gym since you ordered it.)

If you've got a strong V taper the shirt needs darts. Even if custom made. Darts are very common on RTW Italian men's shirts. They don't show alterations they just show you aren't buying portly wear.

chasingred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is ridiculous.

Front darts will make a shirt look like a woman's shirt. Back darts are on a ton of men's shirts. When well done, you can't even tell the dart is there anyway.

Either way, darts not only help bring the sides in but also close up a bit of the billowing in the back once your shirt is tucked in. Unless you have some huge lump on your lower back, I don't see why having a cleaner looking back would be bad thing. It's a nice tailored look.

Almost all of my shirts are darted, and I don't have a large chest to waist ratio.

GBear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[quote="Style Guru";4031174]
Originally Posted by GBear
Does not know what he's talking about.

You'll find darts on female clothing for the simple fact that their chest is much larger than waist. MY gf is a 38D but with a 23" waist. But it's not just the chest/waist difference but how a female is shaped. Never seen darts on men's shirts except busbuy uniforms. I think the problem here is that many of you boys are at that geeky age where you still have a tiny girl like waist and nothing fits well. Wait until you grow up and get a man's body before you worry about how you look in a shirt. Just wear the baggy hoodie like you've been doing for the past 10 years.
lol8[1].gif

I don't think I have worn a baggy hoodie since I was 10. Not sure what you define is a "man's body." Large waist? That's what I avoid by playing sports with the coworkers every lunch, and martial arts and gym after work. So I'm pretty sure, I am far from girly. I just don't like baggy ass shirts that have so much extra shirt in the back. But obviously no front darts. Do men's shirts even come with front darts?

ganziyama

Reaction score
GBear;4031878 said:
Originally Posted by "Style Guru"

I don't think I have worn a baggy hoodie since I was 10. Not sure what you define is a "man's body." Large waist? That's what I avoid by playing sports with the coworkers every lunch, and martial arts and gym after work. So I'm pretty sure, I am far from girly. I just don't like baggy ass shirts that have so much extra shirt in the back. But obviously no front darts. Do men's shirts even come with front darts?

I thought guys ideally should have a broad large chest going to a small waist. If you have the lats and the chest circumference maybe darts could help with that but I can see how most guys wouldn't need the darts in the first place. Nothing to do with being girly or lacking a man's body because a man's body... ideally should taper to a small waist...
bruce_lee3.jpg

821360-arnold_schwarzenegger_002_super.jpg

ganziyama

Reaction score
[quote="Style Guru";4032201][quote="Style Guru";4032194]
Originally Posted by ganziyama

When I was young people like Schwartzenegger and body builders in general were though of as freaks and homosexuals. And I'm quite serious about that. It's only fairly recently that the image has changed a bit. I still think it's freaky to waste so much time to develope muscles that would never under ordinary conditions bulge this much. And what for? it looks like crap.

I don't think you understand what I'm saying... Like I said, most people aren't shaped like that. All I'm saying is how misinformed you are when you say men who require darted shirts are all shaped like girls or lack a manly body. I don't think either of these two men are shaped like women at all. I can understand that maybe you are older and more conservative of how things fit and I would go as far as to say you are probably the conventional shape, but young guys these days on campus all work out. Bodybuilders are not necessarily good examples but its an ongoing trend to be much more muscular than before and its not uncommon to see well built men with serious v tapers.

IBJanky

Reaction score
I get all my shirts tailored and have darts put in.

They fit great and look fine.

myke

ljrcustom

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by txeconomist
I think darts make the shirt look like a women's shirt.

+1.

-LR

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics