• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your limit

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
on a button up shirt, something between casual and dressy, exactly my style of clothes. Is it 1, 2, 300? I ask because I saw a plain margiela that was ridiculously plain yet perfect.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
*My* limit is about $200 for something that I can't seem to live without (fortunately I dont see too many shirts like that), but my gf bought me a mainline Paul Smith shirt for $400 at full retail earlier this year because she thought it looked so awesome (which it does, and I can't live without it)

One can yap all day about "for that price you coulda blah blah blah blah" but sometimes there's that intangible *something* that grabs you so hard you can't resist and just need to plunk down the $$$ and be totally ******* happy that you did.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't bring myself to spend as much on a designer dress shirt as I would on a T&A, Borrelli, etc.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
*My* limit is about $200 for something that I can't seem to live without (fortunately I dont see too many shirts like that), but my gf bought me a mainline Paul Smith shirt for $400 at full retail earlier this year because she thought it looked so awesome (which it does, and I can't live without it)

One can yap all day about "for that price you coulda blah blah blah blah" but sometimes there's that intangible *something* that grabs you so hard you can't resist and just need to plunk down the $$$ and be totally ******* happy that you did.

I know exactly what you mean man because that's how I am with shoes. I didn't try it on because if it fit how I wanted it to fit I was going to buy it. Do you know of any good tailors or if PS does good work? I have a ps shirt from last year, light blue with micro floral detail that is a little long and I want it taken in as well. I know most of the time the actual store tailors are garbage, was wondering if this was the case here.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JET
Do you know of any good tailors or if PS does good work? I have a ps shirt from last year, light blue with micro floral detail that is a little long and I want it taken in as well. I know most of the time the actual store tailors are garbage, was wondering if this was the case here.

I've had good luck with Jantzen tailor in Hong Kong which you've prolly seen 100s of threads about. The shirts end up fitting perfectly slim and they have a great selection of fabrics. I LOVE paul smith mainline shirts (not London or PS) because they are cut really slim and fit me perfect. But at $400 retail homie aint buying them until they go on 50% sale at end of season.

Jantzen Tailor is worth a try if you want a simple white shirt that fits excellent (assuming you give them accurate measurements) and you arent in a hurry and can wait 1-2 months. $43 shipped....cant go wrong.

www.jantzentailor.com

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
$200. That's the mist I've ever spent. Wore that shirt for like 3 years, pretty much at least once a week, before it broke down and died. Prada number. Actually, including tax, I think that it was a bit more. About 50% off nevertheless. Very nice. I like Barba too, but honestly, I would have a lot more trouble plunking down that money on a non-designer, "classic" shirt, because I'd never wear the thing. Well, maybe twice a year... And with that kind of wear frequency, I can afford to wait for the really, really, really good sales. It's easier to find something I'll be really happy wearing a couple of times a year than to find something I'll wear a few dozen times a year. At least that's how I rationalize it.

Rome

Mr. Chocolates Godiva
Reaction score
I dont have a limit, just what I consider reasonable for the piece in question. If the same shirt were being sold at lets say Express for little less than Margiela prices, would you buy it? It it something that is season specific or will you be able find it with ease latter on. How much are you willing to pay for the Margiela name? Its subjective, if you feel like this is something that speaks to you and you're never going to find it again then pay retail.

Aureus

Reaction score
$50.

I'm a cheap-skate. I know. I just spend my money on other things sometimes (Cigars for instance...)

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Rome
I dont have a limit, just what I consider reasonable for the piece in question. If the same shirt were being sold at lets say Express for little less than Margiela prices, would you buy it? It it something that is season specific or will you be able find it with ease latter on. How much are you willing to pay for the Margiela name? Its subjective, if you feel like this is something that speaks to you and you're never going to find it again then pay retail.

Good points altogether guys. I'm fairly good at making the express comparisons as my decisions are usually pretty grounded. However, when I find a shirt that is perfect ie texture, fit, cut, style, color then I am willing to drop the cash. I could give a damn about the name, but it just so happens that this was a style that I was looking for and martin read my mind. I don't want to get ahead of myself (and I am) so I'm going to wait until I try it on because it could fit terribly for all I know.

PS. thanks for the rec j

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'd say $300 if it were the right shirt, but it would have to be utterly perfect cuz I have a pretty nice assortment of designer shirts atm

Metal Circus

Reaction score
The most I've paid was ~76 (bear in mind my internship is minimum wage) for a plain white Raf Simons that I'd lusted after for months but couldn't even consider at 236 - I mean, might as well go bespoke or mtm. But yeah, I'm delighted to finally own it, especially when I've on several occasions paid $60 for tshirts - but they're flat-out my favorite tees and I don't regret it at all.

drake

Reaction score
It really varies from maker to maker but for RTW, if the fabric/pattern is something I can't get done bespoke: $200, for bespoke $250-300.

Luc-Emmanuel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
$150 is the limit for me. Hence, I almost never buy full price, except for H&K shirts.

!luc

RustyRyan

Reaction score
The most I spent was $97 for a Margiela 14 button down on sale from $450, at that price how could I not, it was almost free
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads