What Is Your Favorite Brick and Mortar Men's Store?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by GusW, Nov 13, 2011.

1. GusW

GusW Senior member Dubiously Honored

What is your favorite brick and mortar men's store in the USA? Why? What makes it better than the rest?

2. Jamesgatz

Jamesgatz Senior member

My experience is very limited, but BG and the Mansion really made an impression. Goodman for the breadth and quality of its merchandise and the Mansion because it was the ultimate RL experience.

3. stevent

stevent Senior member

Barneys, selection and sale season is nice.

Service is meh a lot of the time but with their sales prices it's hard to complain.

4. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

BG and Lobb are among my favorites. Lobb because of its shoes and BG because of its variety.

5. GusW

6. bourbonbasted

bourbonbasted Cyber Eliitist

In terms of the stores I actually visit often Sid Mashburn is my obvious choice (granted I am both biased and limited here in ATL). BG and Barney's in NYC also get a nod from me. Only have been a few times to each but the selection and service at both have been pretty awesome.

7. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior member

8. Salad

Salad Senior member

The usual suspects....RL, Barneys and Bloomies. Great sales and I've always had great service. Neiman Marcus too. Best selection of Drakes ties here.

Unionmade is awesome. From Alden, LVC, Golden Bear varsity jackets, Sierra Designs, Woolrich Woolen, etc. Wide array of stuff in a small space. Great look too with a big old 48 star flag, vintage Filson display and McIntosh amp for audio needs.

it goes w/out saying that Selfedge is the spot for denim. Shop looks cool too with a iron spiral staircase and vintage mc in the window.

Last but not least is Cable Car Clothiers. The selection of hats is enough of a reason to stop in and take a look around.

9. stevent

stevent Senior member

Cable car is great for Filson as well. Does Unionmade have sales during the holidays?

10. in stitches

in stitches Kung Joo Moderator

hard to say. but you on a kick about this type of thing i see. venturing into something new?

i think answers, well mine anyway, reflects income level. i would shop in other places if i had more money to spend. as it is though;

specialty shops - syd jerome in chicago. i only have limited experience in these type of shops, but of the ones i have been to they were tops. great selection, no bullshit, treated me exceptionally well (almost like royalty actually, ive never had so many people attending to me in my life afaik), and were very knowledgeable about their product.

retail shops - most brooks brothers, and the polo store in denver. good selection, sales people were knowledgeable enough, i dont expect much in mall shops, and not annoying.

outlet shops - last call NM. easy to grab great finds on every visit. staff pretty much leaves you alone unless you ask which is great because in outlet malls they tend to be HS drop outs. did i mention great finds for cheap?

11. comrade

comrade Senior member

Paul Stuart, New York. It has kept the flame for decades. Phineas Cole notwithstanding.

Bergdorf Goodman, New York. I shopped there when the Men's Dep't. only consisted of ties
    and belts. I wore one of their ties to a recent Meet-Up.

Jay Kos, New York. Subversive good taste. His jackets fit me perfectly, but for the ticket
    pockets. I hate ticket pockets.

Andover Shop, Andover and Cambridge,MA. Back to my roots, "Remembrance of Things Past,"
    But better. Tweeds a go go!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

12. RSS

RSS Senior member

I can't say there is just one.

Accessories & casual clothing: Paul Stuart (New York)
    Casual clothing: Arny's (Paris)
    Socks: Mettez (Paris)
    The best of everything (now gone): Lords (Burlington Arcade, London) ​

Last edited: Nov 17, 2011

13. mrbrioni

mrbrioni Senior member

Bergeron Goodman is an impeccable shopping experience, always.

Hermès in Chicago is always fun for belts and ties, however I'm biased since I'm there so often. Staff is amazing.

14. Drudged

Drudged Senior member

J. Larwence Khaki's, in Carmel, CA. Don't let the name fool you, - the selection is quite nice.

15. GusW

The new location is quite an improvement. I've always enjoyed dropping in at J. Lawrence Khaki's. One of the few places left that carry Luciano Barbera.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011