• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your favorite brick-and-mortar discounter?

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
when Filenes will  be getting in the good stuff from Barney's and Bergdorf's, etc.
One thing I don't understand.  If NM/BG, Barneys, SFA, Nordstrom all have their own outlet stores, why don't they ship their own stuffs to their own outlet stores, instead of to their competitors like Filene's Basements?

johnnynorman3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By selling it to competitors they (1) get it out of there space, which in itself costs money; (2) assure themselves that it gets purchased, as Filene's, etc. buys it from them; (3) gives the impression to customers that customers can't wait around for goods to hit the store's outlets, which would require less search costs on the part of the customer presumably.

Neiman Marcus does use their own outlet, however. I have rarely seen a NM good in a Filene's type place. Same goes with Saks goods. Bergdorff doesn't have an outlet. Barney's gives their "junk" to Filene's -- if you put that in the outlet, it would give it a shoddy look. Filene's has a warehouse feel. Stores definitely wouldn't want their outlets looking like that -- even Off Fifth and Last Call look better than FB.

bigbadbuff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tough call, as I have yet to hit the jackpot IMO at any store. I've gotten plenty of GOOD deals thru Last Call, Off Saks, Filene's, etc. but nothing amazing- nothing like what many folks here have gotten. Of course, I live hours from these places so I only get to check them out a couple times a year and can rarely plan them around known 'good' shipments of items.

My ranking, from experience:

NM: best selection of desirable items I've seen on clearance- no outright steals but compelling prices overall. If you can hit a well stocked NM on its 1st day of LC presale, you're loving life. I don't live anywhere near a Last Call unfortunately.

Saks: the store itself, during its semiannual clearance, is better than any Off Saks I've ever seen. Again, not rock bottom prices but very good prices, and usually a good selection of items/sizes.

Filene's: great prices, decent at best selection of items and sizes. High odds for steals though, if you can wade thru all the junk. The Mazza Gallerie store in DC is the only one I've been to.

Off Saks: extremely hit or miss. I've seen Borrelli, Kiton dress shirts for $120, and then I've gone 4 visits in a row and not seen anything decent at all.

Nordstrom Rack: excellent prices, crap selection- at least the ones I have been to. Again, a pretty high potential for steals. You need to get lucky and hit them on a day they put a lot out, as they get picked over quickly. Have seen some nice ones here, cashmere Loro Piana sportcoat for <200, Ferragamo/To Boot/AE for $125, etc.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think Last Call is REALLY spotty. They have good stuff but not really good deals on them IMO (well, 60-70% off, but that's not a great deal IMO) You have to really search to find the great deals there, which I have from time to time.

Some things I've gotten from Last Call..

Oxxford slacks $50
Gucci jet black suit $90
Tod's oxfords $30
Polo Purple Label Linen suit $120

However, about 80% of the time, it's just overpriced IMO.

mussel

Reaction score
By selling it to competitors they (1) get it out of there space, which in itself costs money; (2) assure themselves that it gets purchased, as Filene's, etc. buys it from them; (3) gives the impression to customers that customers can't wait around for goods to hit the store's outlets, which would require less search costs on the part of the customer presumably.

Neiman Marcus does use their own outlet, however.  I have rarely seen a NM good in a Filene's type place.  Same goes with Saks goods.  Bergdorff doesn't have an outlet. Barney's gives their "junk" to Filene's -- if you put that in the outlet, it would give it a shoddy look.  Filene's has a warehouse feel.  Stores definitely wouldn't want their outlets looking like that -- even Off Fifth and Last Call look better than FB.
As far as I know larger retailers such as Barneys can return certain number of unsold merchandise back to designers, which resell the returns to discounters.

For example, if Barneys has 200 Zegna suits left over at season end and if Barneys is permitted to return 100 of them, Zegna will resell some of them to discounters like Filene's, some of them may go to Zegna outlets. The 100 suits that Barneys can't return will probably go to Barneys warehouse sale and it's own outlet stores.

Bergdorf does have outlets.

johnw86

Reaction score
Haven't been to many Filene's Basements in the 10 years I've been back in the Midwest. The one in Columbus is well stocked with a range of product and good selection--typically 30-40 suits in each size. I suspect that's because the parent company is headquartered here.

The original Basement (underneath Filene's in Boston) was difficult to navigate, merchandise was strewn around, and people had to push and shove just to move. Still I got a great Fedora 12 years ago for $7.50 that I still wear.

The other strip mall Filene's Basements always felt like TJ Maxx or Marshalls to me.

funkyprez

Reaction score
I thought that nothing could ever beat the original Boston Filene's Basement.  Their lucky  sale is just too good.  To the previous poster, stay away from the NJ stores.  I have found great deals at the White Plains store;  have yet to visit the Union Square store.

oh, and I'm glad you left off SYMS, their selection is subpar, pedestrian at best.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads