• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your experience with cashmere suits?

dreamspace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a 100% Cashmere suit made by Kiton, and I was really blown away by the drape and sheen, it really looks magnificent in person. I'd classify the weight as a four season "plus", it almost looks like a mix between worsted and flannel...Makes my Super 180's Attolini feel cheap!

But on the other hand, I've read that Cashmere is quite the weak fabric. Creases won't hold, pants will become baggy around knees, etc.

I plan to mainly use it for special occasions...what is your experience with high % cashmere suits? Do they last, or are we only talking about 20-30 wears before it's game over?

Shirtmaven

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
stay out of the rain.

cashmere does not keep a great crease in your pants.
do you ever wear through the crotch?

hopefully the tailor gave you the cuttings from the bottom of the trousers.
save those in case you do wear though the crotch.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Store properly.

ter1413

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

celery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a mostly cashmere SC, I treat it like a casual jacket and like to pair it with corduroy, it doesn't appear very formal to me though I am not an expert on these matters (still learning I'm afraid). And yes, cedar blocks and staying clear of wet weather are good ideas. I've had it for almost 10 years now, but it does get infrequent wear and only during the cold months, it's far too heavy to wear in spring or summer. I'm sure there are lighter weights that would accommodate various seasons.

Lord Mulberry

Reaction score
Never had a full cashmere suit, I would imagine they would go like flannel after a bit and not hold shape. Most of the clique I hang with wear mohair blends

EliodA

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a cashmere suit once. In less than a year I had a beautiful cashmere orphaned suit jacket.

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
I had a cashmere suit from Zegna. Wore holes in the top of the inside legs pretty quickly.

I'd hate to think what a Kitpn one cost. I would wear it infrequently as well.

tamech67

Reaction score
I've only owned Cashmere jackets and have had really enjoyed them. Picked them up pretty reasonable in Italy.

Like someone else mentioned - stay out of the rain.

I only wear mine about 15 times a year and keep them both on good wood hangers and covered in my closet.
They still look brand new. Love the way the feel and look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads