• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your definition of "Fitting"?

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you use as a defintion or guide as to whether an article fits or not?

I understand that above all else fitting and complimenting your body are paramount to looking good, but I dont know what that means and how it interconnects with my clothing. For instance, how can I tell if a button down shirt is perfect? Or what makes a pair of jeans work for you?

Most guys look sloppily put together, I admit myself included, and these wont work for everyone, but what are some general rules of thumb I can apply to all the major items in my wardrobe to make sure it looks as good as possible?

Casey

Reaction score
I think "fitting" is different for everyone, and I'll give you some obvious examples. There are some people who want to look slimmer or some people who want to look wider or taller. There's also people who want to look crisp and sharp and some who want to look relaxed, which is why fit is different for everyone.

Christian Dior want his clothes to make a woman look curvy and sexy while Yves Saint Laurent made clothes to make a woman look strong and powerful, so the look you want to achieve defines what fitting is.

For me, fitting means making me look tall and slim without being too thin. So when I judge how a shirt fits, that means I don't want excess fabric ballooning from the shirt because I don't have too much meat on me. I also don't want it to hug me so tight you can see every wrinkle on my skin.

So you seem like the kind of person who is getting familiar with fit and whatnot. If I could provide a rule of thumb, i would just say BUY THE RIGHT SIZE. Many people don't understand that and buy jeans that are too baggy or shirts that are too tight or too loose. The shoulder seam of a shirt should stop at your shoulder, and a pair of jeans should be able to sit between your hips and waist without falling off. Everything else in between is for you to decide.

RedScarf7

Reaction score
When trying on button down shirts (and any other shirts for that matter) I find I always check to make sure the shoulder seam sits directly on my shoulder. I've learnt that it and the neck size are the two most important aspects of a good fit as a good tailor can alter anything else to fit you.

edit: For the love of all things holy please purchase pants that fit properly in the crotch. I see so many 20 somethings wearing jeans where the crotch seems to extend to the knees.

constant struggle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
by the average american being fat, most clothes you find in the mall will not fit a normal sized person

they will billow out at the waist in most shirts/t shirts/cut & sew/etc
this for the most part automatically shows things as not fitting, if there is good drape to the item even if it is not tight though, it can fit, if you want a drapey fit

A BILLow is never good

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand its all subjective (and maybe I should ask what fits ME the best
laugh.gif
) but I was looking for general guidelines I can use when buying things, like the guy mentions about the button up shirts. I never once thought about how it looks on my shoulders. And most of my work shirts are from chain retailsers (gap, et al.) and do some major billowing.

For me personally I am 6'1, 210 right now. Semi muscular, work out on a regular basis and during the winters I bulk up and lift heavy, which can push my weight up another 20 pounds through muscle mass. Pants are 33/33 ideally and shirt is 17.5/36 I think? Being my size the slim look just doesnt work. Im too big and I have some shirts that I can almost rip through on the arms (17.5" arms right now) and it looks painted on. I like staying in shape but dont want to look like an Ed Hardy guido and be forced to wear droopy gang wear.

So what are some basic measures to go by for me or anyone on:

- Long Sleeve/Short Sleeve Button up shirts
- Casual Blazers
- Sweaters
- T-Shirts
- Jeans

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
I understand its all subjective (and maybe I should ask what fits ME the best
laugh.gif
) but I was looking for general guidelines I can use when buying things, like the guy mentions about the button up shirts. I never once thought about how it looks on my shoulders. And most of my work shirts are from chain retailsers (gap, et al.) and do some major billowing.

For me personally I am 6'1, 210 right now. Semi muscular, work out on a regular basis and during the winters I bulk up and lift heavy, which can push my weight up another 20 pounds through muscle mass. Pants are 33/33 ideally and shirt is 17.5/36 I think? Being my size the slim look just doesnt work. Im too big and I have some shirts that I can almost rip through on the arms (17.5" arms right now) and it looks painted on. I like staying in shape but dont want to look like an Ed Hardy guido and be forced to wear droopy gang wear.

So what are some basic measures to go by for me or anyone on:

- Long Sleeve/Short Sleeve Button up shirts
- Casual Blazers
- Sweaters
- T-Shirts
- Jeans

i am amazed how you think you are staying in shape when you are way out of shape. being extra muscular will look pretty marsupialed after 30/40 let alone maintaining your body fat level.

for button up shirts, there's always MTM by Jantzen (sp?) and most men stores will have MTM events come September, such as Brooks Brothers or Ralph Lauren. You could go the same route for blazers.

Deluks917

Reaction score
I disagree with conventional wisdom here:

I think if one is overweight clothes should be very fitted.

More loose fits I think only work on slimmer people.

Davidko19

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
i am amazed how you think you are staying in shape when you are way out of shape. being extra muscular will look pretty marsupialed after 30/40 let alone maintaining your body fat level.

for button up shirts, there's always MTM by Jantzen (sp?) and most men stores will have MTM events come September, such as Brooks Brothers or Ralph Lauren. You could go the same route for blazers.

Haha, well Im only 26 now. I like having a nice beach body. And nothing is more flattering than having a woman tell you how good your body looks - knowing you spend 6 hours a week working out. I could stand to drop a few lbs, sure, but i dont think the total package is bad. Im not emo skinny and Im not muscle bound. Its about personal goals and making gains. YOu can always look better - I wish I started 10 years ago!

regardless, thanks for the advice but i am still looking for a broader "how to guide" on what to know if what Im wearing looks good and fits properly.

PG2G

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just developed an eye for what I think looks nice, and then look in a mirror or take a photo and judge it myself. I don't really have any defined rules and what not.

With all of the pics and body types on this forum, I'm sure you can find some realistic examples of how you'd like your clothes to fit. Spend some time in WAYWT, looking at stuff like the sartorialist, etc...

vitaminc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
your height/weight, if not fat, would put you in the league of those UFC fighters, so you should be very muscular.

by 17.5/36 do you mean arm circumference/arm length? typically the front number is neck circumference. and with a 17.5" neck (very thick neck btw) and 36" arms (really long arms), finding shirts and suits/blazers that fits won't be easy.

i think, as long as you skip on the blings, lip gloss and tight fitting t-shirts, avoiding guido look ain't too hard. but then, most of the muscular guys I know love to wear tight shirts to show off their muscles.

MilanoStyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Davidko19
What do you use as a defintion or guide as to whether an article fits or not?

I understand that above all else fitting and complimenting your body are paramount to looking good, but I dont know what that means and how it interconnects with my clothing. For instance, how can I tell if a button down shirt is perfect? Or what makes a pair of jeans work for you?

Most guys look sloppily put together, I admit myself included, and these wont work for everyone, but what are some general rules of thumb I can apply to all the major items in my wardrobe to make sure it looks as good as possible?

For me, fitting means that a garment shows my body line well enough and I feel comfortable when wearing it. With tops, I make sure that shoulders, chest, and waist area not baggy. This applies to shirts, jackets, and coat. With pants, I make sure waist and thighs are not baggy. With waist of pants, I make sure that the pants can stay on with no belts.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Size down 10

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Fit for me is based upon how I feel in it; Not really comfort, but how confident I am.

the etruscan

Reaction score
Originally Posted by vitaminc
by 17.5/36 do you mean arm circumference/arm length? typically the front number is neck circumference. and with a 17.5" neck (very thick neck btw) and 36" arms (really long arms), finding shirts and suits/blazers that fits won't be easy.
Could be worse. Try 16.25/37.25

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads