What is your current "conditioning" level?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by sq4you, Mar 29, 2010.

1. sq4you

sq4you Mid-level baller

I haven't been a SF member for very long, so I'm still being "conditioned" I suppose. Mainly what SF has taught me is that buying quality clothing that fits properly is worth spending more than I had been conditioned to spend before. And that value does not equal price.

So here's my before SF/after SF conditioning report:

Jeans - $40 / $200
    Dress shirts - $80 / $300
    Shoes - $300 / $500
    Sneakers - $50 / $50
    Trousers - $50 / $250
    Sportcoats - $200 / $800
    Suits - n/a (don't own any, yet)
    T shirts - $15 / $7 (learned of AA wholesale through SF!)
    Outerwear - $80 / $400

It will be interesting to check back in with myself a year from now.

you need to demonstrate some A-game by pushing that number up to 650 and get some lanvins.

2. PiperInAlberta

PiperInAlberta Senior member

The GAP. And workwear.

I spend $200 on jeans occasionally and max $300 on shoes (and only once on some 1000 Mile boots).

Fuck your trust fund purchased designer shit. It looks idiotic.

3. sq4you

sq4you Mid-level baller

oooo. someone is on their period.

4. Vaitek

Vaitek Senior member

This is the most I've spent on items to date, but not necessarily my cap and may not be my low. I've mainly been focusing on shirts, pants/jeans and shoes that fit and look hopefully decent together. Especially with spring/summer coming. Quite a few things I've gotten and have been happy with are thanks to suggestions on deals and such here.

I've definitely missed on a bunch of items for myself, but hopefully I'm learning or will eventually learn that items can look good/bad on me or together versus good/bad by themselves. [​IMG] <--- Myself

Jeans/Pants - $200
    Button up shirts - $150
    Shoes - $575

Sport coat - Don't own any, but will be in the market for probably for the fall season

Suits - $750, got a good deal @ 2 for $1499 at Brooks Brothers plus 25% off (Still in the process of fitting and such, but hopeful that everything works out)

T shirt/Polo - $60 - Usually buy the garbage touristy T-Shirts on vacations or under shirts, Polo's for work attire... I'm not too familiar with the whole fancy T-Shirt thing. Some look great, but I just can't get myself to buy them yet at that price. Not sure if I will get to that point one day or it it will ever be my "thing". I just don't like many T-Shirts.

Outerwear - $200 - Random jackets that keep me from turning into an ice cube in the winter...

5. Doctor

Doctor Senior member

Nah rich parents who don't bother reading their credit card bill is usually good enough.

6. SPK

SPK Senior member

I really only buy things from B/S or on deep discount due to lack of funds. If i had a real job, some of these numbers would probably be higher.

Shoes:$150
    Shirts:$130
    Jeans:$200
    Pants:$100
    Outerwear:$500
    T-Shirts:$15
    Knits:$80 (Need some better knits)

7. pistolero

pistolero Senior member

Your pre-conditioning range for shoes is interesting relative to your jean range.

pre-SF, the work uniform was AE + poorly fitting BB / BR crap; the casual uniform was Levis/chucks. I've always had a weakness for nice shoes, just didn't know what else to wear with them.

8. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

pretty much everyone here pays for their own shit?

9. Asch

Asch Senior member

I now will pay $150 to $300 for a good pair of jeans, although I own only one pair at the moment. It's hard to find a good cut and good denim for cheaper, in my opinion, and jeans last for many hundreds of wears. I'll also pay a few hundred for shoes or boots (although it's nice to get them cheaper used on the B&S forum), since again, there really aren't any good-looking options that are cheap, and they'll last for many years with appropriate resoling. On the other hand, I still pay about $10 for t-shirts and $50 for Jantzen MTM button-ups. I can't justify spending much on these, as they'll never last more than a few dozen wearings and washings without starting to show some serious wear and eventually some outright nastiness. Do you guys who wear $400 shirts never sweat, or you're just so ballin that you don't care? [​IMG] What else? I pay about $20-70 average for a sweater, I guess; as with t-shirts, I'm mainly just looking for the right fit, and I see no correlation between price and fit with these. I'm able to find wool trousers for $40-100, usually. I'd pay a couple hundred for a nice piece of outerwear, although I've recently had to sell all my outerwear due to changing sizes [​IMG] Will now be maintaining a minimalist wardrobe until I'm done growing. Haven't bough a suit in a while, but I'd be willing to pay for a TaT MTM if I didn't anticipate changing sizes in the near future.

10. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

I dont' actualyl spend this but is my hypothetical barrier if i started buying more clothes (this includes 2nd hand, ebay and sales)

laceups- $250
    boots- $350
    sneakers- $200
    outerwear- $450
    leather- $600
    jeans- $175
    trousers- $200
    shirts- $150
    tshirts- $50
    light jackets- $250
    knits- $200

Then again, i don't buy much and generally spend far less than those levels. Those are just my maximums i guess

11. brad-t

brad-t Bae Blade

12. chronoaug

chronoaug Boston Hipster (Dropkick Murphy)

Don't get me wrong. I love expensive clothing. I just don't really buy much of it. If i can snag something cool 2nd hand on ebay, supermarket, buy&amp;sell for cheap or maybe get lucky on Gilt or deep sale from another site/store then i just consider myself lucky. I don't understand the beggers being choosers thing a lot of people on styleforum have. Where they want super high quality and great design but dont' want to spend more than gap/jcrew. I'm very grateful that with my extremely limited budget i'm able to own various pieces from rag&amp;bone, boo, apc, cloak, ndc, margiela, mjolk, drkshdw, tim hamilton, raf simons, etc.... I also understand that i don't &quot;deserve&quot; items above h&amp;m, zara, UO, uniqlo, jcrew. If there were no sales or 2nd hand things so you could only buy retail most my clothes would come from there not out of preference but out of necessity

Compared to people i know my level is high. However, i do know people who spend a lot of money on stupid shit like designer sunglasses, expensive but ugly bags, retail prices at places like express, club monaco, zara which can kinda get up there at times (for what you're getting if the thing is ugly), and other things like that

13. MortyGras

MortyGras Senior member

High. Very high.

14. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

That sneaker money needs to be relegated to a higher purpose

I know, I know but I just can't help it. [​IMG]

15. sq4you

sq4you Mid-level baller

I know, I know but I just can't help it. [​IMG]
    dont listen to the haters. raf simons astronauts are where it's at.