• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is your current "conditioning" level?

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CharlieAngel
Even the shirt is shocked at the price.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I get it!

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Originally Posted by baba booey
Great comeback, are you 12? Don't worry I am sure another thread will come along where you can say "did we really need another thread on this...?"

LOL!

lmaozedong

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for me:
jeans: $125 normally/would spend up to $250 in an exceptional situation
t-shirts: $5 hanes/uniqlo etc/$40
button downs: $50/$100
sweaters: $100/$240
outerwear: $250/$600
pants: $50/$120
sneakers: $150/$150.. i've copped cp margiela visvim at this price so i dont really see why i should go much higher
dress shoes: $150/$300
suit: $400/$600

this thread makes me feel like such a pleb but actually thinking about it, i feel like my standards are pretty reasonable. i only buy **** if i know i can make a profit or if its dirt cheap

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
Originally Posted by impolyt_one
he's right though man. sq4you just paid more for that jil face tee shirt than you will for all of your clothes in 2010. live a little

yeah, but i afford myself other luxuries/indulgences (magazines,coffee,dinner, dates w/ the wife... et cetera)

there is give and take as far as i see it.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robbie
yeah, but i afford myself other luxuries/indulgences (magazines,coffee,dinner, dates w/ the wife... et cetera)

there is give and take as far as i see it.

Fair enough. Everyone has different things they value more and shifting priorities. I actually spend disproportionately more on clothing than other areas at the moment, but only because it's a current hobby that interests me. In other areas people are often agasp at what a cheapskate I am. My newest car is 20 years old. Or last summer I rebuilt the deck on my house myself rather than hire professionals.

I will say your low budget fits often look pretty good Robbie, but you would look even better if you added a few more higher end pieces to your rotation. For example, those KMW Rockers have really worked out well for you.

db_ggmm

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone else work on counter conditioning?

Living in a conservative, albeit large, midwest city, trying to play high fashion would only ostracize myself to an untenable degree. Forcing myself to purchase most things with some sort of discount or sale involved helps a lot. Despite that, my accepted price for most items has gone up some multiple of 2-5 since joining SF/SuFu.

My first "raw" denim purchase was a pair of $275 Dry Bones, but I have found 3sixteen and N&F to provide way more bang for the buck. I'm struggling to resist buying a pair of CP's but I do so by buying a cheapo pair of sneakers every 10 weeks. Inefficient.

It definitely helps my budget that I am not required to wear or am interested in dress shoes or suits. If I choose to, I can reduce my clothing budget for work to near zero, although I try to keep myself entertained with durable nonblue denim and work / desert boots.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by db_ggmm
I'm struggling to resist buying a pair of CP's but I do so by buying a cheapo pair of sneakers every 10 weeks. Inefficient.

i've got the same problem. 2 pairs of DBs (beeswax and gray), 3 pairs of the leather chucks, and some adidas all in the space of the last 4 months, but i reckon for the same price (prolly off B&S) i could have 2 pairs of CPs which would cover everything and be so much cooler.

BB1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
i've got the same problem. 2 pairs of DBs (beeswax and gray), 3 pairs of the leather chucks, and some adidas all in the space of the last 4 months, but i reckon for the same price (prolly off B&S) i could have 2 pairs of CPs which would cover everything and be so much cooler.
Depends on the look you want. Chucks are a lot more casual (or even juvenile) looking than CPs, but many of CP's models look surprisingly dressy for a sneaker! I own both and don't really think of them as interchangeable.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I'd rather have one pair of cp vs 6 pairs of chucks. I think I have like 5 pairs altogether.

I love going out and every guy is wearing chucks while I'm wearing those or my vandals.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sold all my DB's and garbage sneaks or just threw them out

Bought Lanvin patent hightops

Will buy CP achilles highs and Raf mainline sneaks in future.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I remember fuuma a long time ago giving me props because I didn't have a lot of sneaks (this was 3 years ago) but have since procured a small collection.
-two lanvin lows
-two raf mainline highs
-ton of cp's
-couple pairs of margiela sneaks
-balenciaga highs

I think I'm forgetting another, must step up lace-up game. Still special ordering some augustas and I'll be good on swd ish. Have a few margiela boots, carpes, pierre hardys two pairs.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the best example of my conditioning is that i used to think Filson bags were ridiculously overpriced and were an example of "luxury goods".

Now i think that they're quite reasonably priced for well made bags.

XenoX101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Variety is still important though, while a pair of kicks might go with a number of outfits, it's unlikely they will go with all of them. Furthermore, even if you do have a pair of sneakers that go with every outfit, they may not be the ideal choice and might only pass because say the colours 'kind of' work together or the style is 'kind of' similar. In this case you could probably do better to buy a couple of pairs of sneakers that are better coordinated with your outfits and match the colours and styles better, rather than just a few quality pairs. Case in point: sq4you's lanvin's and the way they go with all his outfits, true, they 'work' with most of his fits, but some of them are really pushing it to the point where the lanvin's are the falling point of the outfit. Especially that Thom Browne fit of his, in that case I thought to myself, if he had spent less on sneakers and invested in some nice black dress shoes instead, that fit would have worked a hundred times better.

Razele

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah true I kinda like shoes / boots more then sneaks but nice ones are really good, im pretty picky though.

Want to do two cordovan vass orders next year, a clean boot in black and then one in brown. Guidi backzips deffinitly this year though, and maybe some other stuff in the second half.

For lowtop sneaks I really like german armies and thats about it at this point.

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think sneakers have to "go perfectly" really. As long as they don't clash.

A white CP, or lanvin or whatever will go with every outfit. Sure, some peach chucks may "go perfect" in terms of colour coordination with some fit, but that's not really what i'm after.

In other words, colour coordination in my fits is more of a "don't ******* up" than "if i go with opposing colours in the colour wheel then add 66.2 degrees with a slight drop of fuchsia..."

that's not to say that i don't appreciate and take inspiration from other people's colour combos.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics