Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What is your body fat?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by chuckseabreeze, Jan 29, 2009.

1. supermidget

supermidget Senior member

depending on my luck, anywhere from 5-7

2. yodawg

yodawg Senior member

^you must be dry as a bone.

i think i'm in the 14-16 range from the electronic thing in the gym.

3. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Senior member

25% Fat, 25% Beer, 50% Love Machine...

4. suited

suited Senior member

I believe there are plenty of people who honestly think their body fat is 4-6%.
    IFBB pros are around 4%, and can only maintain this level of bf for a short time around competition time, and they're on a TON of relatively dangerous drugs to do this (insulin, clen, ridiculous amounts of test and other anabolics), as well as having genetics better than 99% of other athletes, let alone regular people. Most people are full of shit. This is one of the best % comparisons I've seen, with pictures. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...26&postcount=2

5. Steve Thomas

Steve Thomas Senior member

IFBB pros are around 4%, and can only maintain this level of bf for a short time around competition time, and they're on a TON of relatively dangerous drugs to do this (insulin, clen, ridiculous amounts of test and other anabolics), as well as having genetics better than 99% of other athletes, let alone regular people.

Most people are full of shit.

This is one of the best % comparisons I've seen, with pictures.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...26&postcount=2

It's hilarious to hear guys at the gym waxing on about how low their body fat is. That bodybuilding.com forum post is a great visual look at what body fat percentages really look like.

Over the past 4 years I've gone from 260 and approximately 35% body fat to 180 and 15% body fat.

I've been on a cut for the past few weeks and have, for the first time in my life, started to see my abs.

The best advice I ever heard from a trainer (he's a professional in the natural body building circles): throw away the scale and all those body fat reading devices and look in the mirror.

6. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

It's been a while since I last got my bf tested, but I guesstimate myself hanging @ 11-12%-ish. That thread on bb.com is a nice reference point, but it's useful to keep in mind that everyone has their own typical fat distribution... what I'm trying to say is that (measured) 10% bf will look different on dude A than on dude B.

And I do agree with you guys, mirror and measurements matter, scale weight... bleh.

7. suited

suited Senior member

It's hilarious to hear guys at the gym waxing on about how low their body fat is. That bodybuilding.com forum post is a great visual look at what body fat percentages really look like.

Over the past 4 years I've gone from 260 and approximately 35% body fat to 180 and 15% body fat.

I've been on a cut for the past few weeks and have, for the first time in my life, started to see my abs.

The best advice I ever heard from a trainer (he's a professional in the natural body building circles): throw away the scale and all those body fat reading devices and look in the mirror.

This is true, especially with calipers. Depending on where you pinch and your technique, it's pretty much useless.

Another key factor in body fat is how you distribute your fat gain. Ideally, one would distribute their fat across their body in an even manner, but this isn't most people. When I add fat, all of it goes to my lower back/stomach, so in the past I've been careful when "bulking".

8. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I oscillate between 0.6% and 1.2%. I'm also a trained nutritionist, professional model, MMA enthusiast and personal trainer on weekends. I eat 14 meals a day

Quick update: I'm finally down below 0%. A testament to what a will of steel can do.

I switched to 1 meal every 14 days now.

9. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Quick update: I'm finally down below 0%. A testament to what a will of steel can do.

I switched to 1 meal every 14 days now.

You gotta be careful bro, after you hit negative 10% bodyfat, you need to cut dem carbz.

10. Radagast

Radagast Senior member

11. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

This is one of the best % comparisons I've seen, with pictures.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpo...26&postcount=2

Interesting. But I guess his pictoral examples of "full house" (over or near 20%) are perfect examples of how, like others have said, people deposit fat differently.

His example of 20% BF:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/attach...postid=2272262

Compared to most other less fortunate 20%-ers this guy is obviously genetically blessed for depositing fat evenly throughout, because he sure as shit looks more defined than most other examples of 20%.

12. Lear

Lear Senior member

To be honest, Id be too scared to have it measured. I once gave a nurse my height & weight while visiting someone in hospital. She was able to dial it up on a hand-held circular thing, then came to the conclusion that I was pre-obese. Then I thought,.. but isn't everybody who isn't already obese, pre-obese? That cleared my mind somewhat, and I went on my way. A lot of it's probably down to bad genes anyway - not my fault.

Lear

13. Lagrangian

Lagrangian Senior member

Sorry to have to break this to you, but blaming your genes is taking the easy way out. I'd wager a lot more has to do with diet and exercise habits, which, unfortunately fall squarely in the realm of individual choice.

14. antirabbit

antirabbit Senior member

85% fat.

15. javyn

javyn Senior member

10%. Not fit by any means, just really skinny. If I could ever actually make myself gain weight, I'd be happy to gain all fat.