• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is wrong with these suits? Can (.. and should) they be tailored, and how?

rekesalat

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I have two blue suits, nr 1. and nr 2. They fitted me well enough some time ago, but when I put them on again now I see that its not exactly a perfect fit.

How should I tailor them? And should I tailor them?

Nr 1:

nr 1- 5.JPG
nr 1 -3.JPG nr 1 - 4.JPG nr 1 -2.JPG nr 1 - 6.JPG nr1.JPG

Nr 2:

nr 2 - 1.JPG nr 2 -3 .JPG nr 2 -6.JPG nr 2 -7.JPG nr 2.JPG nr 2 - 2.JPG nr 2 - 4.JPG

I also put up nr 3 which fits me well enough, at least I believe so. Or should I do something with that as well?:

n3 - 1.JPG n3 .JPG

Anachronist

Reaction score
frankly, I can't imagine these ever fitting you, unless you bought them when you where much younger (and smaller). They are both too small for you, both in length and fit around the shoulder. I'm afraid, there is nothing you can do to retailor these. Sell or donate and use the opportunity to invest in something nice and new would be my recommendation.

rekesalat

Reaction score
I bought them when I was heavier? It seems that they are too wide around my waist was what I thought, so I thought about slimming the waist.

Carlo Corbata

Reaction score
To be honest, none of these suits have a good fit.

The jackets are all way too short, the closing button is way too high. Shoulder fit is bad and the overall fit is... I’m so sorry... horrible. We all don’t have to walk around in bespoke suits but you should toss these suits and go to a good menswear store and consult a salesperson there.

You don’t seem to have a problematic posture, so I’m positive that you find something with a good fit that suits you well.

rekesalat

Reaction score
OK, thank you. I will try to sell them. They were of course bought in a menswear store, and the salespeople told me it fitted well.

are there some things I should check before buying my next suits?

Carlo Corbata

Reaction score
OK, thank you. I will try to sell them. They were of course bought in a menswear store, and the salespeople told me it fitted well.

are there some things I should check before buying my next suits?

The salespeople are not good, switch the store... and don’t go to a fancy store, either.

My advice would be to go in an „old-peoples-store“ if you know what I mean. They are in 99% educated about size, fit and which alterations have to be made. The most important fit is the shoulder fit because this can only be altered in few times. Everything else is more manageable for a skilled tailor.

Don’t look on labels, for there is nobody to see them anyway. Look for a good menswear shop where the employees can provide you with an optimal fit suit. When you need a basic stock, start with navy and grey, you can do something fancy after that :) have fun and maybe show your new suits after you got them :) If you are unsure, post some pics here leave the tags, don’t let them get altered or something. If there are issues, a lot of people here can help you out.

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
One thing to look for, mentioned above, is that the buttons are too high and the jacket length is too short by several inches it seems. It looks like it was built for someone much shorter. Trendy isn't really what you want in a suit.
A tailor can help with final fitting issues, but watch for signs of not hanging well. It shouldn't look like it's bunching up around your legs/seat. Also, when you start seeing an X across your chest starting at a button? The jacket is too tight.

Carlo Corbata

Reaction score
One thing to look for, mentioned above, is that the buttons are too high and the jacket length is too short by several inches it seems. It looks like it was built for someone much shorter. Trendy isn't really what you want in a suit.
A tailor can help with final fitting issues, but watch for signs of not hanging well. It shouldn't look like it's bunching up around your legs/seat. Also, when you start seeing an X across your chest starting at a button? The jacket is too tight.

Totally agree. Maybe you should also look for wider lapels, for you look kind of tall. Just try to avoid the „all slim and short“ suits :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads