• We would like to welcome Overt Skincare as an official Affiliate Vendor. Overt is a different kind of skincare company that’s transforming the industry through transparency, efficacy, and charity. After a positive reaction as a guest of Epaulet (one of our stalwarts) Overt decided to join our ranks. This is the first skincare line to have an official presence on Styleforum, and we are very excited to have them on board. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

What is wrong with the fit of this jacket?

dblb48

Reaction score
I was thrifting today, and stumbled on this suit that was exactly my tagged size. I think it looks ok for a $5 suit, but I am curious as to why the shoulders look as they do? There was plenty of room through the chest, but the arms were tight....is that what causes this weird "bunching"?

dblb48

Reaction score
ah gotcha...Yea anyone know why? I doubt the shoulders are too big because I only run into this issue when I wear a jacket on the tighter side. (If it matters I have an athletic body, with wide shoulders and back..

^^^
edit: ok that makes sense, thank you.

Last edited:

NoCleverName

Reaction score
ah gotcha...Yea anyone know why? I doubt the shoulders are too big because I only run into this issue when I wear a jacket on the tighter side. (If it matters I have an athletic body, with wide shoulders and back..
^^^
I think he meant that your shoulders are too small, the jacket's shoulders are too big.

forbritisheyes

Reaction score
^^^
I agree with Harbin - you don't look athletic or have the proportions of an athlete.

Birks and Grey Socks

Reaction score
Ill try and be helpful. I have the exact same type of body.

Your trap muscles make your shoulders slope more than average. So even if you find the right "size" for your chest the shoulders will be too aggressive. if you look carefully, there is a big height difference between your shoulder bone, and the shoulder of the suit. So aggressively padded suits with high armholes are not your friend. You'll run into this problem when you try on suits like RL Black Label, Boss, Z Zegna...etc.

You complain your arms are tight because your shoulders are dragging down the high armholes. If you shrug your shoulders upward in the mirror, the tightness will be lessened.

What you need is a very soft shoulder minimally padded suit. Try the classic neopolitan style tailoring with soft shoulders and minimal padding. I usually stick with Corneliani Leader model, most Canalis are also good, but what you are looking for is a very soft shoulder. And a suit for you has to be Canvased. A fused shoulder will not drape over your sloped shoulders as well and cause either side or top divots.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Can't see much from this photo so hard to analyze the fit. Problem with thrifted jackets are they may have been altered to fit the original owner. It may not fit you well due to the adjustments made for another body.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

What's your favorite summer fabric?

• Seersucker

• Fresco

• Linen

• Silk

Results are only viewable after voting.