• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is wrong with Mens Wearhouse?

eric23

Reaction score
I recently purchased my first suit, and it happened to be from MW.

I ended up going with the Lauren, center vent, two button charcoal pinstripe:
http://www.menswearhouse.com/menswea...=1169683037597

After reading the forum about interview attire, etc. I came across a lot of MW bashing. I am curious, what would the difference be between getting this same suit at MW or let's say Macy's. And at $300, was this a decent deal for a 21 year old's first suit?

Thanks in advance, Eric

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for a 21 year old's first serious suit, there is nothing wrong with a suit from the mens wearhouse, jos. A Bank, and other similar stores. hopefully, you were able to find a nice solid suit with flat front trousers, which probably is a great choice for a younger look. Not everyone can shop at brooks brothers for their first suit, so these stores are an alternative for many guys.

for the gents on this forum, however, most have been in the world of work several (if not many!) years, and are now looking for maximum quality (or even artform, in some cases) in a garment, which is produced by tailors rather than machines. it's just an acquired taste, for those who strive for the nicer things in life that hopefully comes with age, experience, and wisdom !

congrats on your suit purchase, just ignore my signature quote below.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
hopefully, you were able to find a nice solid suit with flat front trousers, which probably is a great choice for a younger look. Not everyone can shop at brooks brothers for their first suit, so these stores are an alternative for many guys.

well, he bought a pleated 2 button pinstripe suit so there goes your theory haha...

I don't understand why you'd go to Men's Wearhouse and pay $300 for a Lauren suit instead of going to Marshall's or Ross and paying $150 for the same suit, or Target and getting a solid charcoal or navy suit with flat front pants for $120.

Gladhatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by eric23
I recently purchased my first suit, and it happened to be from MW.

I ended up going with the Lauren, center vent, two button charcoal pinstripe:
http://www.menswearhouse.com/menswea...=1169683037597

After reading the forum about interview attire, etc. I came across a lot of MW bashing. I am curious, what would the difference be between getting this same suit at MW or let's say Macy's. And at $300, was this a decent deal for a 21 year old's first suit?

Thanks in advance, Eric

Nothing wrong with your suit at all and yet if the more seasoned shoper that has spent a life time making great decisions about all points in his life choose to not make a great decision about wearable art of the infinite degree then he would not fill fufilled.

There is many levels of many things in the world and fine finer and finest attire is one of them. Some not only have a taste for the ultimate but also a budget for it. This comes with a life time of intelligent decision making and you will find that this type of person will have positive content and a positive aura about them and is the kind of person to associate yourself with and aspire to become like.

Clothes do not make the man but the man makes the wisest choices about the clothes that are right for him.

You wear you suit in good health and in 21 more years be glad there are master tailors around that will benefit your refined needs at that time.

Gladhatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
well, he bought a pleated 2 button pinstripe suit so there goes your theory haha...

I don't understand why you'd go to Men's Wearhouse and pay $300 for a Lauren suit instead of going to Marshall's or Ross and paying $150 for the same suit, or Target and getting a solid charcoal or navy suit with flat front pants for $120.

Well I think the right answer here is good taste. Man that is one sharp suit of clothes and I love the color and I REALLY love the pleat. I am not much on the cuffs but I do not have to be as it is your selection.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I'd still rather pay $100 more and get a Thick as Thieves suit for work. They can deal.
biggrin.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gladhatter
Well I think the right answer here is good taste. Man that is one sharp suit of clothes and I love the color and I REALLY love the pleat. I am not much on the cuffs but I do not have to be as it is your selection.

So, it's good taste to buy something for $300 rather than the SAME SUIT for $150?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

$300 is about the usual Macy's selling price for a Lauren, but they very often drop down to about $200 or so. You can sometimes find last year's models for about 150 or so at a Marshall's, as noted by the poster above. So it might be better to check your local marshall's and look for something in a solid navy or charcoal, or subtle navy pinstripe or charcoal pinstripe (like the one you picked). My local marshall's just got a new shipment of suits this week, so your's might have a good selection as well.

they're ok suits in their price range - I have 2 that I still wear to the office, although I no longer shop for them.

eric23

Reaction score
I actually browsed my local mall today and saw similar ones but a lot of them were the "total comfort" version and I couldn't really find the size that fit me best around the shoulders and torso (41 long as opposed to all of the 42s).

In theory I could always return the suit back to MW but wouldn't the alterations be non refundable, and then I would have to get the same suit at lets say $100 cheaper if I am lucky and then have that altered, saving me like 50 bucks or so and all the hassle?

From what I've read the pleats are good for someone of my height 6'3"-6'4" to fill out the legs a little more.

Would one recommend returning and starting the search over?

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I actually browsed my local mall today and saw similar ones but a lot of them were the "total comfort" version and I couldn't really find the size that fit me best around the shoulders and torso (41 long as opposed to all of the 42s).

In theory I could always return the suit back to MW but wouldn't the alterations be non refundable, and then I would have to get the same suit at lets say $100 cheaper if I am lucky and then have that altered, saving me like 50 bucks or so and all the hassle?

From what I've read the pleats are good for someone of my height 6'3"-6'4" to fill out the legs a little more.

Would one recommend returning and starting the search over?

Once you've done alterations you're more or less stuck with them. I don't think this is a bad suit per se, but as I mentioned before you may want to stop by your local Target and take a look at a solid charcoal suit. I believe they have suits in 41 and the long model should fit you OK, otherwise a 42L would likely fit and they are cut fairly slim. They're also separates which is nice.

Gladhatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
So, it's good taste to buy something for $300 rather than the SAME SUIT for $150?

No good taste is choosing a suit that you like from a place you choose to purchase it from and then wearing it in good health.

Bad taste is condeming some ones decision to purchase one place insted of another all based on the cost equasion.

CoryB

Reaction score
I'm highly doubtful that any store will accept a altered piece of clothing. Probably you best best is to wear the suit, call it a learning experience and try ot find a better deal next time.

Pleats may have the effect of producing a fuller look around the waist and legs, but flat front is much more modern. I'm assuming a young guy like yourself is trying to look hip and modern in addition to dressed up.

Quirk

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like a perfectly fine, if unremarkable, suit, and should be fine with the proper alterations. And far more people advocate flat fronts than actually look good in them. Regardless of the quality of your first suits, you're not likely to wear them for more than a couple of years anyway, because your taste (and dimensions) are likely to evolve. You have to just take opinions (this one included) with a grain of salt. And yes, you might happen to find this same suit cheaper in some closeout outlet, but those places tend to be very hit-and-miss, so they're better used when you're casually shopping around for something but don't absolutely need it. If you're in a situation where you absolutely have to find an item, it's usually worth the premium to go somewhere with enough of a reliable selection that you know you're likely to find something serviceable without much hassle. But then again, I'm biased since I hate shopping in the first place, and I absolutely loathe shopping around for things.
tounge.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Gladhatter
No good taste is choosing a suit that you like from a place you choose to purchase it from and then wearing it in good health.

Bad taste is condeming some ones decision to purchase one place insted of another all based on the cost equasion.

So giving advice on where to find clothing at affordable prices to college students that are obviously on a budget is in bad taste?
musicboohoo[1].gif

Gladhatter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Quirk
It looks like a perfectly fine, if unremarkable, suit, and should fine with the proper alterations. And far more people advocate flat fronts than actually look good in them. Regardless of the quality of your first suits, you're not likely to wear them for more than a couple of years anyway, because your taste (and dimensions) are likely to evolve. You have to just take opinions (this one included) with a grain of salt.

And yes, you might happen to find this same suit cheaper in some closeout outlet, but those places tend to be very hit-and-miss, so they're better used when you're casually shopping around for something but don't absolutely need it. If you're in a situation where you absolutely have to find an item, it's usually worth the premium to go somewhere with enough of a reliable selection that you know you're likely to find something serviceable without much hassle. But then again, I'm biased since I hate shopping in the first place, and I absolutely loathe shopping around for things.
tounge.gif

Quirk your wisdom is beyond your years!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics