• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What is wrong with Brioni?

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It seems the hype on this brands is going into fashion since on classical dressing arrived to the max,
so need to get different clientele, ( hipsters, and so on) so they can continue filling their numbers.

My friends on Kiton also took the same ( bad) decision and started making some fashionista clothes as
Brioni is making since years ago, leather bags for “men”, sportive overpriced whatever and so on.

capitalism has it´s side effects...

gs77

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It seems the hype on this brands is going into fashion since on classical dressing arrived to the max,
so need to get different clientele, ( hipsters, and so on) so they can continue filling their numbers.

My friends on Kiton also took the same ( bad) decision and started making some fashionista clothes as 
Brioni is making since years ago, leather bags for “men”, sportive overpriced whatever and so on.

capitalism has it´s side effects...

Amen brother!

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
By co-incidence the PG has commented again on Brioni just now:

Update : since the release of this PG article, Brioni appointed a new artistic director. His first action was to put together a campaign with... Metallica ! I don't dislike Metallica but I'm not sure it's the right way to regain the heart (and the wallet) of the former Brioni fan base...

Dandy Wonka

Reaction score
By the way, when you look at some pictures of their new artistic director (fellow Aussie Justin O'Shea) you see straight away the market they seem to be chasing.

I think he's pretty stylish but when I look at him I don't think Brioni.

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Martingale

Reaction score
This interview is such a disaster. This guy talks like a pimp, looks like a pimp. Honestly not the kind of people that i would invite in my house.

Hartmann

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The "new" logo seems to be a reworking of their earlier logo (the GQ article says from the 50s but I have no idea):

This is the "old" logo btw:

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well what guy doesn't want "a silk bomber with a dragon on it"?

Ido suggest that they new space they seem to be aiming for might already be taken. I think what maybe seems so shocking to some is that they were already the masters of a particular niche. I dunno, seems like chasing waves to me. It will be interesting to see.

Rattle, rattle.

SartodiNapoli

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Wrong Crowd

Reaction score
I'm glad that there's a thread about this because I have been confused about the direction Brioni has been taking ever since I saw the Metallica announcement. The article that Dandy Wonka posted has a comment from a Brioni employee:

"In the mind of the megalomaniacs at Kering, there exists a client that is young, thin and very affluent who likes to wear his garments close to his body."

OK, I am 29, I work out a lot, I'm not at the point yet where I can buy OTR Brioni but I'm getting close, and I wear shirt stays sometimes to keep my shirt close to the body in the back so I guess the last one kind of applies to me? If someone put a gun to my head and told me to dress as nicely as I possibly could, to me, that means a suit like the ones Brioni used to make. Now, if I had to buy a suit like that, I would go to Kiton.

I also like the point gs77 made about image. I've been reading a lot about the upcoming election and I have seen a couple mentions of Trump talking about wearing Brioni in mainstream, non-fashion news- being associated with Trump can only hurt Brioni if they want to appeal to Millennial customers. I realize that nothing I say is groundbreaking, but I wanted to add my two cents to this discussion as someone pretty squarely in the demographic that Brioni is selling their birthright to appeal to.

Last edited:

atia2

Reaction score
I see parallels with John Lobb's (RTW) recent transformations. Time will tell whether these forays from style into fashion pay off. It feels like there's not enough business to go around, so someone has to roll the dice...

Aquafortis

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By the way, when you look at some pictures of their new artistic director (fellow Aussie Justin O'Shea) you see straight away the market they seem to be chasing.

I think he's pretty stylish but when I look at him I don't think Brioni.

A quote from O'Shea in his interview from the Vogue article:

"The mood of the '70s I find to be the most exciting in terms of where I live mentally."

I think that just about sums it up...UGH.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads